New Axolotl Keeper

Kristenna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, I am new to Axolotl keeping and would love to get some advice on keeping these magnificent creatures. I currently house my two Axolotl's in a 40 gal Breeder tank. I had it cycled for a couple weeks with a fluval hang on filter that I use for my Jack Dempsey. Before my Axolotl's arrived I put a 60 gal sponge filter in for low flow of water I currently don't run any lights except for the picture obviously. I have a set of 4 fans that run above the aquarium to keep the temperature at 64-67 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using fine sand as a substrate from Carib sea I rinsed the sand many times before putting it in. I have two other aquarium's so I am familiar with the parameters needed for Axolotl's and all seems great there. When my Axolotl's arrived they were a tad smaller than I anticipated being around 3-4 inches was worried about limbs being bitin off and what not. They are eating every day bloodworms and I have tried with no success cut up night crawlers. I would love to hear some advice or suggestions from other experienced keepers.

I have recently ordered some carnivorous pellets
A tank divider
And a sponge to possibly use on a hang on filter if needed in the future
(from amazon waiting a couple days to arrive)

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpg
    IMG_5800.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5823.jpg
    IMG_5823.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 238
Hi, as they are little, you run the risk of impaction with them being on sand, 5+ inches is the recommended size for lotls to be on sand, I've found it's hard to get them off bloodworms, so what I did was add small bits of Repashy grub pie and small pellets to their piles of bloodworms, then I would increase the amount of the food I wanted them to eat.

Feeding them like that on a plate would work better and will limit the amount of sand they are ingesting.

Thank you for your response! :happy:I do have a dish that I feed in inside the tank would you recommend any changes in supstrate at this point to possibly bare bottom? They arrived on 9/6 and I have have seen both eat from the dish daily at this point. Before acclamating them in separate tubs apon arrival I did a feeding and a overall look over and they both ate immediately they seem healthy to me but I would love a more experienced view as well I did notice both seem to have sustained a possible injury maybe due to sibling canibalism both in the feet region. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Attachments

• IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5817.jpg
    IMG_5817.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 235
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back