Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Burst "prolapse", what to do? (warning: gross descriptions)

mookoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

(for clarification, I refer to my axolotl as a 'he,' but have never* properly sexed him).

I've had my axolotl for about a year, and outside of a so-so start, and the occasional infection (the white fungal stuff, I believe, treated with salt baths), he's seemed pretty good. Just recently, he's had another bout with the infection, followed with some strange bloating (like, he ballooned, enough that I noticed).

The next day (yesterday), I came home and he had a giant "sack"-like bubble, with blood pooling inside it, sticking out of his genitals or anus. it looked like he was passing it (but in my reading it seems that's not the case), and it obviously looked uncomfortable for him (he was leaning to the side, etc). At some point in the evening, i noticed it was bleeding (blood on the sand). I tried to move him to a more sterile container with dechlorinated water, at which point the 'sack' fully ruptured and the water turned bloody.

I kind of panicked, put him back in the tank, and then later put him back in the container (with new water again, obviously). I put him in the fridge overnight, and he is still alive. The prolapse (if that's what it is) is still there, but obviously shriveled up compared to the monstrous size it originally was. (i'll link the photos below).

For reference, he lives in a 20g tank, with a sponge air filter (i fear this is the cause of his earlier infections, poorer filtration from sponge filter, instead of his previous stronger over-tank filter), sand, and a little moss ball. I have a feel the sand cause the problem, but I don't know. Also, he eats 'nightcrawler' worms, about 4-5 a week, but I have fed him since about thursday or friday (and obviously won't feed him until/if his issues are addressed).

My awful question is... what should I do at this point? I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow, but the consultation alone is $100. Obviously I can't ask internet strangers who can't look at my axolotl up close to make a decision for me, but I want to know if anyone else had something similar happen to them. I found one other thread on here with a similar story, but the "prolapse" did not appear to have blood in it, and they said their axolotl died soon after (can't remember if it was days or hours later).

Sorry for the crappy first post, I wish I'd introduced myself on better terms when I made this account months ago.

photos:

here is the axolotl when i found him:
https://i.imgur.com/qT4CzDX.jpg

here he is in the fridge, about 10 hours later:
https://i.imgur.com/dtBwLTI.jpg

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the only person who can safely help with this is your vet. Until you get to see him, keep the water clean , cool and dark in the meantime. Do show him the photo's you took too as they may be useful. All the best.

mookoo

Reaction score
I think the only person who can safely help with this is your vet. Until you get to see him, keep the water clean , cool and dark in the meantime. Do show him the photo's you took too as they may be useful. All the best.

Thanks Julia. I took him to the vet today, and they pushed the cloaca back in and sutured him up. Not sure if he'll make it, but we'll see. They asked me to feed him right away (he hasn't eaten since last Thurs or Fri). Do you have any suggestion about that? should I keep him off food for a couple more days? I'm a little worried it's too soon for him to eat and process food.

(I actually tried feeding him a red wriggler, but he didn't seem interested. Without input here I'll try again tomorrow morning)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Poor guy! Those photos are really helpful! Wishing him a good recovery.
If the vet's said to try and feed him I would follow what they say. If you can get a hold of nightcrawlers they might be tastier than red wrigglers. Unless someone on here who has had this happen before suggests otherwise!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the vet thought my salamander was constipated he recommended wax worms dipped in olive oil. That might be OK- the oil will help it go through easier and be gentler on the cloaca.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1