Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Harlequin axolotl

C

cheryl

Does anyone have any pics of harlequin axolotls?

Cheryl

J

jojo

Heya Cheryl!
Isnt a harlequin a bird?
Im guessing a "harlequin axie" is a particular colour????

*** confused **

C

cheryl

yeah. i keep reading about these rare "harlequin", or multi-coloured axies, but cant actually find any pics- im curious
happy.gif

J

jojo

hmmmm... ive never seen nor heard anything like it.

Anyone else?

A

apryl

This is a pibald I bid for on trademe(but missed out on
sad.gif
) I think they are also called harlequin,could be wrong tho...
53028.jpg

S

sharn

i very much doubt thats a piebald... its a plain old leucistic with heavy patterning. harlequins/piebalds are very rare and i dont think anyones been able to breed them. do a search for 'Chance' on here. hes a lovely piebald... the lady that owns him tried to breed off him but only got normal offspring. if you cant find the pic i have one i kept on my puter i can post, the ladys name excapes me sadly..

S

sharn

yeah thats chance i think! ill upload my pic i stole lol, hope sara doesnt mind!
53031.jpg

J

jojo

omg! NO WAY - thats awesome!
Weird, but a beauty!
Thanks for that Sharn!
You too Amanda! Ive never seen these in the flesh though
sad.gif
- it'd be interesting

I

ian

Hello
harlequins axolotls are a subject that i am asked about with some frequency,i have been keeping and breeding axolotls all of my life,harlequins/pieds fall into two catogories either stunning and rather unappealing to look at, my strain came from Dougie Paul who provided the specimen for the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, they are gametic this means they do breed true, there exists a genetic depression how ever a decent example is amazing to see. The lucistic example shown above is as has been highlighted an advanced melanin lucistic, but oddly still conforms to a harlequin/pied, there are or has been several recorded strains of harlequins in the last few decades but few people have bothered to study them, i do have a considerable amount of data on harlequins/pieds and many other mutations which i am happy to give people access to, however a word of advice you are all welcome to view it but i will withdraw all info if this is used for ANY commercial purposes, the offers there.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
I think harlequin axolotl would be a great idea for an article for the caudat.org magazine. It is a downloadable magazine that is free.

C

coffo

ide love to learn more about these types of axalotl ive never seen anything like it until now
(actually i remember some1 having a brown axie with yellow spots in theyre display pic)

K

karen

Cool ! Does anyone have any more pics ? This is the only one i have seen ..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!