Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus on Axolotl's gill

tdavidr1

Reaction score
Hello. Recently, i have had a fungus take over in my 20g tank. It is a white, hairy, and slimy fungus. It doesn't seem harmful, but it clogs up my HOB filter, and clings to the walls of my tank. Yesterday, I noticed that a little bit of this fungus was attached to my 4 month old axolotl's gill. How can I remove this fungus from my tank, and from my axie?

Edit: Forgot to mention that water parameters are great. Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, and Nitrate is 10ppm

Attachments

• Al.jpg
    Al.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 1,615

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Can you attach a picture of the fungus in the tank? If it actually white slime fungus, the only solution I know is to drain and bleach the tank, basically start over entirely. Salt baths may be able to help with the fungus on the gills, but I’m not sure if it will work with white slime fungus. That stuff can be pretty nasty, I know it can be lethal to Fish as I had an entire tank die from it but I’m not sure how it will affect an axolotl. In my tank, it was on the side of the tank but I didn’t think much of it. Next thing I knew, it had started growing on all my barbs and within a day or two, every fish in the tank had been infected and killed.

tdavidr1

Reaction score
Sure. I just scraped it off the walls yesterday, but you can still see some on the rock

Attachments

• 20180710_113730.jpg
    20180710_113730.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 331

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
It could either be the nasty stuff I dealt with or it could be the kind that is completely harmless and grows from waste matter in the water. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to rid the tank of it? Maybe there are fungicides that are safe for axolotl use? But salt baths could help kill it off the axolotl probably. Maybe someone with more experience in dealing with this could have a better solution. Sorry I can’t help more!

tdavidr1

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! It seems to be harmless. My axolotl shows no signs of stress. Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!