Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino Fire Bellied Toads

KaylaContagious

Reaction score
1266352788_0.jpg

Albino-European-Fire-Bellied-Toad.jpg

Just found some of these little guys for sale. Sadly there are sold for a bout $160 which is waaaay out of my price range. Anybody else seen these for sale?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've only seen them on 2 websites; one had them for $160 and the other had them for $175. I personally don't find them all that appealing.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The washed out color of the belly is not caused by the pigmentation condition. Since the red colour is entirely introduced with the diet, technically that animal should have had a red belly if it´s diet had been rich in carotenes. That yellow is not part of the colour morph.
By the way, the first and third pictures look like they are leucistic. The second one is albino (and shouldn´t be able to produce a red belly even with the proper diet ?¿).

Anyway they are expensive as hell....and i hope they don´t spread a lot (cool looking, though...).

stavroske

Reaction score
[/quote]The second one is albino (and shouldn´t be able to produce a red belly even with the proper diet ?¿).
Why should an albino not be able to produce a red belly? Albinism is the lack of black pigmentation. If there is a lack of red pigmentation, it is called anerythrism. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Uh, you are absolutely right, i got mentally tangled. The albino should be able to accumulate carotenes if introduced with the diet, the leucistic, probably not (although if it can accumulate pteridines, it should be able to accumulate carotenes).
However, the lack of red pigmentation can hardly be considered anerythrism, since it´s not a genetic condition that causes the lack of the pigment but entirely a dietary factor.

uwe

Reaction score
a friend of mine is breeding them regularily and always looks for interested buyers. His price is not 160/animal, but closer to a tenth of that price.

Only problem he is not in the US.

See you

Uwe

stavroske

Reaction score
However, the lack of red pigmentation can hardly be considered anerythrism, since it´s not a genetic condition that causes the lack of the pigment but entirely a dietary factor.

You're correct about that. I Didn't say that the bombina is anerythristic, only that (genetic) lack of red is called anerythrism. ;)
By the way, that bombina looks fascinating!

Ezequiel Nahuel

Reaction score
Hi all.
I only want to say that these are not Bombina orientalis, they are Bombina variegata.
The photos were originally posted here:
European Firebelly toad - Albino style - The Alberta Reptile and Amphibian Society
And from this website:
Amazon Reptile Center - 909.447.5103
Here is a photo of an adult Bombina variegata from...
CalPhotos: Bombina variegata; Yellow-bellied Toad
They are identical.
As far as I know, albino/leucistic Bombina orientalis are extremely rare and the inmune system of the tadpoles/toadlets is very week, so, they die easily.
I found this photos of a baby leucistic Bombina orientalis (apparently, this was the unique leucistic of the spawning):
leucistic_tadpole
baby frogs
You can see that its parents are B. orientalis.
So, in my opinon, it is more probable the "albino/leucistic Bombina orientalis" are in effect Bombina variegata.
Bye
PS: Excuse me for my English

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!