Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much food is too much?

K

katherine

I have two axolotls that I have had for a few months and both seem happy and healthy but this is a question I am trying to decipher.
How much food is too much?
My big axolotl this is not a problem as he stops eating when he is full but my little girl just eats and eats and eats.
I always siphon the tank or remove any dropped pellets post feeding but have had problems with my girl getting a gill infection and then little planaria worms in her tank, which is apparently due to poor water quality.
Does this mean I am over feeding her? She is always looking for more after I feed her but once she ate so many dried axie pellets she had a bit lump on her side as she digested them all.
Is this normal?
Also what tests should I be doing to check on water quality? I currently have kits for PH and Ammonia. Is there anything else I should test for?
Thanks heaps for any help,
Kat

M

mik

The planaria seem to bloom when there hasn't been sufficient cleaning of substrate or in a new tank set up. They will die away and have nothing to do with the axies feeding habits apart from dropped food and waste.

You can buy all in one test kits (or 5 in 1) that test for PH, NH2, NH3 and hardness levels.

I would try your 'little girl' with one earthworm a day while you try and assess her appetite. If she appears to be still eating but getting a bit fat drop back to every other day. But take time to assess...

K

katherine

The first time I tried feeding Taco an earth worm the planaria appeared the next day so I thought it was the earth worms fault. Now I know I different I will try another worm. At present I am feeding pellets. The tank Taco is in is a few months old but I have just completely cleaned the tank (post planaria) so am back to square one.
I vacuum the tank with a siphon 2 times per week. Is this enough or should it be more regular. During vacuuming I usually remove and replace about 8-10L of water.
Barry my other full grown axolotl in his tank has never had planaria and I do the same with him.
Thanks for your advice.
Kat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1