Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sow bugs/pillbugs as food

TJ

Reaction score
Anybody have any information/advice/warnings on using these isopods as food? They're being sold here in Japan for that purpose. I've tried them with some of my newts/sals but not sure yet whether they've been eaten.

K

kaysie

if you're using them for terrestrial sals, i think they'd be great. they eat detritus in a tank, and are edible by the sals. good news for everyone!

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Mike & Kaysie. And by the way, excellent site, Mike!! (esp. interesting as I also keep tropical fish & goldfish)
I'm checking it out here for the first time. Wouldn't mind being reincarnated as one of your C.orientalis in my next life! Hope you'll expand the newt/sal section as times goes on
happy.gif

Concerning sow bugs, pillbugs/woodlice, Mike says on the site that they have a calcium rich exoskeleton,can live in the sal's enclosure for some time until being eaten, and are actually quite useful scavengers, eating decaying plant material.

(Message edited by TJ on September 24, 2003)

K

kai

You can also feed them to aquatic species.

They are a good addition to any whiteworm culture and help to avoid mold...

R

rancidevilpingu

i never knew woodlice were called pillbugs!!! or sow bugs

M

mark

could these woodlice/pilbugs be fed to terrestrial juviniles, as my garden is full of them.

Mark

C

chris

Mike,
what temps do you keep your woodlice cultures at to increase the quickest?
Chris

mike

Reaction score
As long as you get the moisture right, the warmer you keep them (within limits), they faster they breed. The trick is to allow plenty of ventilation, keep the substrate damp (not wet) and allow them to choose their own moisture level - they are more fussy about this than the temperature. I use corrugated cardboard (pieces of old boxes) to let them climb about and pick the microclimate they like.<br>They don't breed that fast, doubling about once every two months, but they are pretty maintenence free. A large plastic food container would keep most people going!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!