Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to paramesotriton morphs get feeding

J

juraj

Take small and smelly einsenia worms out and put them to the water.
17935.jpg

17936.jpg

Prepare three dishes and the bottoms cover with wet paper towels. One dish will serve as a feeding area another is for depositing feeders and the last one is for non feeders.
17937.jpg

17938.jpg

Now take a newt out and place it in the feeding dish then take a worm and place it in front of newt`s mouth. Mind the correct angle.
17939.jpg

17940.jpg

like this
17941.jpg

Wait and watch what will happen. Then remove the newt to the deposit and take another and so on until the last one.
17942.jpg

Check the score
17943.jpg

C

chris

Thanks Juraj!
I will find this VERY useful when mine morph!
How do you set up your einsenia culture (I assume that's what the box of worms is in the first photo???)
Thanks
Chris

N

nesaraj

What does "Anorectics" mean? I suspect you were thinking of "Anorexics". Nice pics and instructions...I plan to try the method out soon. Thanks.

J

jennifer

I am happy to see more feeders than anorexics! I'm also happy that this method works, as so many people have difficulty getting small Paramesotriton to eat.

It's funny that you should post this now. Last week I tried, for the first time, removing some newly-metamorphosed newts to a separate feeding container.

My reason for trying this is that the foods I am using (small earthworms and fly larvae) easily dig into the dirt and escape from the newtlets. Feeding in a bare container allows them to find the food before it goes into the dirt. I find that dirt is the most reliable substrate to keep the newts in.

This reminds me, I've been planning on assembling an article (with contributions from several people) on the topic of raising small metamorphs. May I use your photos for this, Juraj?

J

juraj

Hello Jenn
not only the worms can easily dig into the substrate but I also have an experience that the morphs are very shy in their tank. They try to hide instead of take the food. When they are put in a bare container they get focus in the food.
If you find the photos useful feel free using them.

J

joseph

What exactly are "eisenia worms"? I remember some worms from my garden that had a quite strong, unpleasant smell...but I doubt this is what you are talking about. Anyone have a spare "starter culture?"

(assumes redworms are unsuitable)

J

juraj

Hello Joseph,
Yes that`s exactly what I`m talking about. Common garden worms with bad smell. I don`t know what species it is but I think they belong to Einsenia genera. There are two types : one with dark rings and solid coloured one. Some people here say that Einsenia hortensis is non smelly species. Morg for example has a good experience with them.
I`d like to add some my: smelly garden Einsenia is accepted by all my newts but an unknown non smelly Einsenia taken from forest (with dark rings too but bigger and living in the rotting wood) is refused.

lims

Reaction score
Hello, just bringing up an old thread here, sorry, but what happens to the non eaters batch, are they... culled!!?? or what, do they just get special attention when feeding, its a nice little exercise but what exactly for??

juraj

Reaction score
All of them started to eat a few days later and most of them (perhaps all) are still alive. Her is a one of mine :

Attachments

• PA194493_1.jpg
    PA194493_1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 250
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1