Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S.o.s !!!!!

mortisia

Reaction score
Hello, I'm from Greece. Some 2 weeks ago I went to a local pet store and they had some paddletail newts in an aquarium with fish. One of them had both his back legs bitten off by a fish and scratches on it's back. I felt sorry for it and I took it home. I put it in clean water but it stays hidden all the time and doesn't eat. Today I was able to look at it and it seems as it's starting to get infected (like fungus around the injury). What should I do? put it in wet paper towels? what treatment should I use? please someone answer me as soon as possible because I am very worried...
Thank you for any responses.

mortisia

Reaction score
I took it out of the water and took some photos. I don't know if it has an infection but the legs have a yellowish color which they didn't have when I first got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 207

mortisia

Reaction score
well it seems that it was shedding and that's why it had that color. Now it's ok but I should put some kind of medication so I doesn't get infected. Sorry for the so many posts but I'm really worried

petro

Reaction score
well it seems that it was shedding and that's why it had that color. Now it's ok but I should put some kind of medication so I doesn't get infected. Sorry for the so many posts but I'm really worried

Maby stupid to say in this situation but the legs looks okay to me,iff you see fungus treat it with saltwaterbaths(ONLY THE LEGS)
Use SH2000 for in the water were they live in.And last but not least,they have to eat!!!!
Eating is meaning that the things are going better.
Petro

mortisia

Reaction score
U think so? It's relieving to hear that. One question: what is SH2000? Thanks a lot for tha response!

mortisia

Reaction score
Is this it's name or ingredient? I don't think I can find it here. You think I should put an antibiotic in the water even if there isn't any fungus?

petro

Reaction score
Is this it's name or ingredient? I don't think I can find it here. You think I should put an antibiotic in the water even if there isn't any fungus?

It's the name,you can google it.If there is no fungus,it's not a must.
petro

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1