Tankmates

ali

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Alison Brown
I hope you guys aren't getting sick of my endless questions! I am trying to keep my newts as happy as possible!

I love keeping a few ghost shrimp in with my newts. Occasionally a Taricha will chase them, and I've found that one has dissappeared. But I originally got them as treats, but they've become great friends now and I'm going to get a few more!

Here's my question. I have two five gallons, one which is quarantine for my newly acquired juvenile t. granulosa, the other houses cynops orientalis. I'm going to add a few more ghost shrimp, but both of these tanks are unfiltered and I was wondering if I can add any other waste-eating wildlife. My roommate went "clamming" and got some clams from the river for her community fish tank. Could I do this too? I have live plants but would love to get some small mystery snails. I assume these would eat up all my plants though? What about ramshorn snails? Any other ideas?

Would it be better to have snails and no plants in a non-filtered small aquarium? Or should I have the live plants and no snails?

I don't advise clams, snails are fine, but they do their part in adding waste <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> well as removing some of it. Plants are perfectly fine, and In most peoples opinon, thats all you need to put in the tank besides newts.

Also, 5 gallons is too small for the cynops.

Why are clams not advisable?
Also I will get a larger tank for my cynops although she is very small and seems very happy.

Large clams could suddenly trap the leg of a newt between the shell if it suddenly closes and then it could cause the newt serious harm. In some cases the newt could break free, at the cost of a dislocated joint or the loss of a foot/hand.

AHHHH! I didn't even think of this as you rarely see the ones in my roommates community tank. However, they DO occassionally surface and open/close.

THIS is why I ask on here first. AHHH!

But I think if you are breeding your newts, you better not add any Ghost Shrimp in there. I heard the shrimp will eat the (Fish) eggs from some Fish Hobby Forum.

I'm not breeding my newts. I only have one newt per tank right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back