Tankmates for axolotls?

Hi,

I have 2 applesnails (Pomacea bridgesii) in the same tank as my 2 axies, temperature is about +18C / 64,4F and it works great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as i´ve found in the internet, 18ºC is not an ideal temperature for those snails.
Additionally, as you can see here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters
there are risks in this mix.
Just because you haven´t had problems yet, i wouldn´t jump to the conclussion that it works great.
This said, it appears to be a very common mix....but then again so are other mixes that are clearly risky.

That's true, Azhael. But my axies are about 6 and 7" and the applesnails wont grow much bigger than 1,5" so i don't think they are able to cut the axies throat. But ofcourse, you should never say never, there is always a risk when mixing species. I thought for quite some time about putting snails in the tank before i decided to try. And they haven't bothered each other at all so far, so hopefully they wont do it in the future either :)

Does anybody have any advice on how axies take to other axies, I know that adults will nip at little'uns...My axie has been alone for 4 years now and he's seems a little bored of late, I was wondering if he needed some company?

Provided your tank is big enough for two ie 3 foot. And that you get another axolotl of similar size to the one you have, they should be fine together. Mel

Danios need warmer water than axolotls, by housing them together you are compromising the requirements of both, or at least one of them, which obviously is far from ideal.
The Danios have actually bred so i'm sure they are quite happy even with the lower temps. They were originally purchased as feeder fish but in a 3ft tank there is too much room for them to run around in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back