Morphing time to come soon?

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
I´ve spotted these bellies on my Paramesotriton larvae even in some with only one inch or one inch and half. Its normal to happen months before morphing or it appears when morphing is very close?

ggxlarf2.jpg

ggxlarf4.jpg

Thank you,

Belly coloration should appear when the larvae are nearing metamorphosis. Sometimes it arrives when the colors haven´t had the chance to fully develop yet, other times, they develop completely and then, the animal morphs. Depends on housing, temps, individuals....
I´d say, as a general rule, it´s a matter of weeks at most.

Hehe, almost looks like a larval salamandra salamandra, if you look at it as though it were inversed.

:proud:

You´re right! I knew they reminded me of something xD
The broad head and the wide tail help a lot to the effect.

how sad. They are still midgets... They are at 20-25ºC, very shallow (2-3cm) and clean waters.

Cheers,

Wait until the tail fin starts being reabsorbed, then the transformation is really dramatic!

Why so shallow? Shallow water speeds up morphing in some species, is this true for paramesotritons?

Wait until the tail fin starts being reabsorbed, then the transformation is really dramatic!

You have experience with Paramesotriton larvae or you are talking generally?

Why so shallow? Shallow water speeds up morphing in some species, is this true for paramesotritons?

Its true for all species I know. But in fact shallow waters have bigger oxygen concentrations witch is vital to paramesotritons witch are stream dweller larvae

Thanks,

It´s common sense that the reduction of the tail fins is a clear sign of metamorphosis, Ltdanicecream is certainly right.
Paramesotriton can morph reaaaaally small. Sometimes about the size of the average Lissotriton morph, which is certainly tiny. They are not fast growers either...

:p I meant it seems like when the tail fin goes, they are out of the water within hours. No I dont have experience with this particular type of larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back