What Pachytriton is this?

joonas

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Joonas Gustafsson
There are 4 pictures of one Pachytriton individual at www.sammakkolampi.net/pachytriton. Pictures have been taken at different times and at different lightning contitions. But they all portray same individual. Animal is bought from a pet shop in Finland.

My question is: what species / type of Pachytriton is this?

I´m pretty sure it´s a Pachytriton labiatus. It looks like a rather normal labiatus except it lacks the dorsal red marks (which is not uncommon).
The taxonomy of this genus is a mess though, and there are many varieties yet to be formaly named.....perhaps someone with more knowledge with this genus can chime in and give you a better answer.

Last edited:
With that spotting it sure looks like P. brevipes to me.

Doh...i missed the other three photos....being sleep deprived is not good...
The spotting certainly looks too heavy for a normal labiatus..it´s looks much more brevipes like.
Also, the bulging back part of the mandibles looks brevipes.
So, in short, i changed my mind xDDD I think Justin may be right.

I'll be the third on the Pachytriton brevipes opinion.:D

Although the new P. archospotus looks externally just like brevipes...

Chris

The head is too thin to be P. archospotus.
II would say that you have Pachytriton Sp A. ;-)

Might as well add my 2 cents, regardless of the date.
Pachytriton granulosus, which includes all the slender specimens from south of Shanghai, and also includes most of what's called "P.labiatus" as well as sp. A and sp. B.

Does not look like labiatus (too slender/thin and with spots) - i'd also go for "granulosus" but i'm not convinced to this species account (as the animal called Pingia granulosa was described on the base of juvenile labiatus), i use that name for all these Pachytriton sp. undescribed - A, B and rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back