Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie gills SHRINKING!!!!!!

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Try testing the PH of the tap water so you can see if it is the same as the tank.

ok i checked the ph it still same 7.6 .... and also i noticed my axolotl has 2 nose holes do they really have that?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
High range ph - 8.4
ph - 7.6
ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
there's the result are these ok for my axolotls?:confused:

Keep an eye on the Ammonia and Nitrite (highly toxic), you don't want those levels getting higher than 0.5 if you can help it. If you do experience a spike (1.0+), DON'T panic, but DO do a partial water change to bring those toxins down to acceptable levels for the axolotl.

Test the water each day and write down what the test results were (it's fun - honest! ;)) so you can see how your cycle is going. It may take any time from one to three months to complete the cycling process.

While the tank is in the process of cycling, you need to be changing out 10-25% of the water EACH DAY. If you experience a spike (as I mentioned above) increase this to 25-50% to bring those levels right down.

If the ammonia and nitrite read at a consistent "0" for more than two weeks, and nitrate is present in the tank, you can consider the tank cycled.

O_O the tatatank... temp i dont have a thermometer D: and also it was great to use that test kit but i am extra careful not to burn my self , as i have red the instruction Corrosive so i became extra careful , and it was great and fun , i felt like a chemist ;) not a mad and also should i throw the tests in a sink or a sewage hole (the liquid with testers)?? And also seeing that they stopped floating.... And also My ph is high is it ok?

Tip the tests down the sink after testing. These chemicals are no good for plants so don't tip them into the garden beds or pot plants, and as you've read, they are corrosive, so take extra care when disposing of these chemicals near people and animals.

Axolotls prefer pH towards the higher end of the scale, 7.6 is just about perfect! :happy:

It's strongly recommended you get a thermometer. Warm water is very bad news for axolotls. Not only can it make them very sick leading to likely death, it also increases the toxicity of Ammonia which can kill them, too. If you live in a warm place, a thermometer is a must have when keeping axolotls.

Last edited:

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Ammonia and Nitrite (highly toxic), you don't want those levels getting higher than 0.5 if you can help it. If you do experience a spike (1.0+), DON'T panic, but DO do a partial water change to bring those toxins down to acceptable levels for the axolotl.

Test the water each day and write down what the test results were (it's fun - honest! ;)) so you can see how your cycle is going. It may take any time from one to three months to complete the cycling process.

While the tank is in the process of cycling, you need to be changing out 10-25% of the water EACH DAY. If you experience a spike (as I mentioned above) increase this to 25-50% to bring those levels right down.

If the ammonia and nitrite read at a consistent "0" for more than two weeks, and nitrate is present in the tank, you can consider the tank cycled.

Tip the tests down the sink after testing. These chemicals are no good for plants so don't tip them into the garden beds or pot plants, and as you've read, they are corrosive, so take extra care when disposing of these chemicals near people and animals.

Axolotls prefer pH towards the higher end of the scale, 7.6 is just about perfect! :happy:

It's strongly recommended you get a thermometer. Warm water is very bad news for axolotls. Not only can it make them very sick leading to likely death, it also increases the toxicity of Ammonia which can kill them, too. If you live in a warm place, a thermometer is a must have when keeping axolotls.
Ty so much!!

Kerry M

Reaction score
What does the high range PH mean? Jerome asked me on chat and I've never tested for this? He had an 8 point something reading for that and I wasn't sure whether that could be a problem.

FX1C

Reaction score
You only test using the high range if your normal Ph is darker than the darkest shade... Then you have to proceed to high range.

It's because the test isn't able to cover the entire range from low to high - better to have 2 accurate ways of testing than 1 that's not so good :)

Not sure that explanation helped lol ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does the high range PH mean? Jerome asked me on chat and I've never tested for this? He had an 8 point something reading for that and I wasn't sure whether that could be a problem.

Its my understanding that the regular pH tester tests up to 7.6 only, if the pH is higher than this, it won't register on that test, so then that's when the high range kit comes into play.(isn't this fun ;)) So the 8 point something pH reading from the high range test is his true pH level and it is a tad high (nothing to panic about, but should be rectified). There are some natural safe methods to bring it down:

- add driftwood to the tank
Or
- put some peat moss in the filter.

I think there are others, but those two are all I can remember off the top of my head.

Good luck, Jerome, and keep us posted.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
i checked my dad's fish pond water (which i was getting water last time) And i found out it has a 0.25 AMMONIA!!!!!! so i stopped getting there and used tap water instead

Kerry M

Reaction score
i checked my dad's fish pond water (which i was getting water last time) And i found out it has a 0.25 AMMONIA!!!!!! so i stopped getting there and used tap water instead

Wow Jerome, thankfully you are no longer using it! It's so good to hear that you are checking all the water. It must make it a lot less stressful for you now as you know what is happening. Keep up the good work :)

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Wow Jerome, thankfully you are no longer using it! It's so good to hear that you are checking all the water. It must make it a lot less stressful for you now as you know what is happening. Keep up the good work :)

Yeah just got a problem at food , my axolotl are so thin i give them earthworm,frozen and tubifex worms , but they seem not to be getting fat , and also are crickets good for them?

xxianxx

Reaction score

A higher ph makes ammonia more toxic.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jerome, did you test your tap water too? Many times tap water also contains ammonia, especially if your water is treated with chloramine.

Ammonia of 0.25 isn't bad, especially if your tank is fully cycled. The beneficial bacteria will easily take care of the trace amounts of ammonia.

If your axolotls are too thin, you need to feed them more. Since your tank is quite warm, you should be feeding them daily, if not twice a day. Here is an article on appropriate food for caudates.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Jerome, did you test your tap water too? Many times tap water also contains ammonia, especially if your water is treated with chloramine.

Ammonia of 0.25 isn't bad, especially if your tank is fully cycled. The beneficial bacteria will easily take care of the trace amounts of ammonia.

If your axolotls are too thin, you need to feed them more. Since your tank is quite warm, you should be feeding them daily, if not twice a day. Here is an article on appropriate food for caudates.

Yup i tested it normal ph and no ammonia and nitrite

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
hey guys should i place the plastic plants back in their aquarium?? i removed it because it made a cut on my axolotl or should i go buy some real plants instead?

Kerry M

Reaction score
hey guys should i place the plastic plants back in their aquarium?? i removed it because it made a cut on my axolotl or should i go buy some real plants instead?

I'm not sure what plastic plants you have Jerome. If you are going to buy plants you can have a look at the plants suggested on the website 'Axolotl Sanctuary', there is a good link there called 'Axolotl Friendly Aquascaping'.

Have you got some hides yet? Axies love to hide in them as it helps them feel comfortable. They have no eyelids so can find light very bright if they are trying to rest.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what plastic plants you have Jerome. If you are going to buy plants you can have a look at the plants suggested on the website 'Axolotl Sanctuary', there is a good link there called 'Axolotl Friendly Aquascaping'.

Have you got some hides yet? Axies love to hide in them as it helps them feel comfortable. They have no eyelids so can find light very bright if they are trying to rest.

i have a big cave for them and also i have those spiky seaweed plastic plant and the long light green one

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!