Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hypselotriton orientalis

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Hello,
I have some chinese fire belly newts and I would like to breed them and I was wondering what would get them to breed. Would a few weeks in my utility room at 14-18*c and then back to normal 18-21/22*c help? Recently I have noticed the females get a lot fatter, and I really do mean a lot, I haven't fed them any more than usual though so could this be that they are gravid? Also one of my males has gone slightly lighter in colour from black to a hazelnut/brown colour might this be a change because he is getting into breeding condition?
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't keep H. orientalis but i imagine their triggers for breeding are broadly similar to C. pyrrhogaster. My C. pyrrhogaster have now had 2 breeding seasons in my care and laid viable eggs both times. I think they pick up on subtle changes in background temperatures and day lengths. I haven't hibernated them, although they are in the coolest room of the house, but that only gets as low as the mid 50s so your utility room should be fine to get them in the mood!
Hope this helps :)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll just leave them how they are this year and see how it goes and depending on the outcome I might try and hibernate them next year. Thanks for the help :happy:

stanleyc

Reaction score
This may not help, but my H. orientalis have bred consistently in the years I've owned them without any sort of special hibernation or effort on my part. I live in San Francisco, where the weather is very mild, rarely with any marked cold or hot seasons, and still they've bred.

If your female looks fatter, she might be gravid already! In which case, congratulations! Keep us updated.

mizzerman

Reaction score
Mine have laid their 20th egg today. The only thing that changes in my newt room is the day length. Temp is pretty constant at 18C. The best thing that I have found to induce breeding in some newts and axolotls is increasing day length whether natural or artificial.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This species breeds very easily, all they need is to be kept in adequate conditions and they will breed. No brumation is required although it doesn´t hurt either. Mine always breed in late summer/early fall rather than after aperiod of colder temps anyway.

It does sound like they are going into breeding mode. Some males do get much lighter during the peak of the breeding season although they change colour a lot. They typically get paler at night and that´s when the bulk of courting happens, look for signs of it just after turning on the light in the morning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!