C Pyrrhogaster tank move

idontthinkso

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I moved my 1.1.C Pyrrhogasters to another tank (60cm). Since then the female doesnt eat much, but the male seems to not eat at all. But they moved over 1 month ago, so im sure they do eat. I also gave them live food. They do eat but very little. Usually earthworms are devoured, but now it takes a long time for them to finish eating , if they do eat them ! The only thing is they are in a tank with , lets say 50 red cherry shrimp. So perhaps they are eating them (cause its also the first time they meet red cherry shrimps), though i never saw that, i even saw 1 shrimp swimming right towards the male and eating a mosquito larvae without him attacking the shrimp.
I added some pictures. Does he look healthy ?
How much time do they need to feel good in a new environment ?
The decoration etc. is basically the same.

Attachments

• IMG_8586 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8586 (Kopie).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_8588 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8588 (Kopie).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_8592 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8592 (Kopie).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_8602 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8602 (Kopie).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 295
They look a healthy weight to me. They will eat the shrimp if they can catch them, mine do! I don't think you need to worry yet as long as water quality is ok, although I would have thought the shrimp would die if it wasn't. In my experience males do seem to eat less than females, especially when the females are egg laying.

Ye, food problem started right after moving to another tank. I, indeed, have seen the female folding leaves but i don't see eggs. He also stopped showing mating behaviour after they moved too.

If your female is laying eggs they may be eating them as well, C. pyrrho's seem to really love egg eating. I suppose in the wild, egg season would be a time of plenty for them when they can pile weight back on after hibernation. As well as there own there would probably be eggs or larvae from other salamanders and frogs etc at that time of year.

His red skin color is paler, does this have anything to do with him eating eggs ? I saw him eating a leaf yesterday so im sure you're right :eek:

I've noticed the red look paler on males in breeding mode, In actual fact it only appears lighter because of the subtle blue/silver sheen that they get over the top of it. After the breeding season the blue slowly vanishes and the red colour returns to normal.

Aah, thanks ! You've been very helpful ! Im not worried anymore :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back