Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cyanarus, Pyrrhogaster, or Ensicauda

chezr

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm putting together a planted tank right now and after everything is settled, I'd like to eventually add two medium or three small newts. I've done some research and narrowed my list down to Blue-tails, JFBs, or Sword Tails because my summer temperature will be in the mid to high 70s.

I've looked through all of the care sheets and past posts on this subforum, but haven't seen lot of information on the behavioral differences between these three species. Ideally, I'd love active, fully aquatic, diurnal newts that spend time climbing, swimming, and exploring. I also love watching newts hunt, and it would be fascinating if the newts were able catch and eat a few red cherry shrimp that I plan to breed (and any small snails).

My first choice right now would be Blue-tails because of their color and small size, but I'm worried they may be too small, slow, or not bold enough to cull the cherry shrimp population. Does anyone know if they're able to catch them?

My tank will be a heavily planted 10 gallon with sponge filter, sand substrate, and a temperature in the 60s and 70s f.

Please let me know if you have a favorite between the three, or if you can recommend one that might be right for me. Also, if you know of any CB breeders who can deliver to Arizona.

Thanks a lot!
Tyler

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, at those temperatures it might be safest to go for C. ensicauda or pyrrhogaster. My adult C pyyrho's have spent a week where temps were just nudging 80f without any obvious discomfort, although that was a rare heatwave here in the UK and I would never recommend those temps regularly.
All three species you mention are fairly active and entertaining, especially at feeding time!
I wonder if a ten gallon tank may be too small for C. ensicauda as they are the largest species of Cynops, pyrrhos are smaller but can still demolish cherry shrimp if the mood takes them!
I don't have any experience keeping H. cyanurus, maybe someone who has could chime in and and let you know if they are suitable!
Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1