Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange spot

stijnzeger

Reaction score
Hello all,

One of my H. Orientalis has a strange spit on her side. And i dont know what it is.
Somebody has seen this before?

9e0aab0ef4353ea654986e12cbe01ec5.jpg
7a9aa2074ee0a0d7d49ff810ce9998a9.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, it is the best i can do right now.

Greetings jelle

otolith

Reaction score
Did it just appear or has the animal always had it? I had a T. dobrogicus with a similar congenital skin growth but it never changed in size or shape and didn't appear to cause the animal any discomfort.

If the growth just appeared or grows rapidly I think it is cause for concern. As far as treatment options go though I am at a loss.

stijnzeger

Reaction score
The tank was dirty with algae, and when i cleaned the tank 2 weeks ago i noticed this spot.
I dont think it really grew since then.
But taking a picture is really difficult cause she never sits still or she faces the wrong way.

stijnzeger

Reaction score
I wrote a better reply earlier, but tapatalk has failed me again :p.

Today i got him out of the tank to look at the spot up close, it still didn't change in how it looked.
It feels a bit different, but it isn't a big bump at all.
So it only has another colour and feels a bit rougher.

This is the first time i have had any troubles with my Orientalis in 9/10 years now.

Still no ideas?

Jelle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1