Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Top Fin® Slate Rock Aquarium Cave (Help)

Jeff93

Reaction score
Hey all.
I recently bought a third hide for my axolotl. It is a Top Fin® Slate Rock Aquarium Cave so I got it home boiled it and I noticed it had a chemical/plastic smell, it is made of poly resin. It mostly went away I put in the tank but got paranoid to keep it in there and took it out. It doesn't smell anymore unless you go like right up to it and smell really good.
Here is a link to the item in question does anyone know if it's safe to put back in the tank?

https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/decor-...ate-rock-aquarium-cave-17485.html?cgid=300201

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
top fin stuff seems to be safe for axolotls but ive chosen to avoid using them after one hide cracked and i discovered the entire thing was hollow somehow and any hole allowed water to become trapped inside (toxic water factory, blah). right now im in the process of using silicone and slate slabs to make my own hides, the cost ends up being pretty close if you want to look into it.

so it should be ok but watch out for any holes or cracks just incase that one is like the one i got. i agree that the plastic or resin they use smells funny

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!