Feeding paddletails

N

nicole

When you feed your paddle tails earthworms, do you cut them up for them or just give them the whole thing? If you cut it up, how small is the bite? How often do you feed them the earthworms? I have been feeding mine a packet of whole blood worms in a nutrient-rich gel once a day. One packet gets divided between 3 of them and they get some newt bites. Which is the healthiest choice for them? Thanks for the help.

I feed mine on earthworms exclusively. They are labeled as "leaf worms" (Lumbricus rubellus) and I feed my newt a whole three inch worm every 2-3 days. Often I feed two worms if they are smaller. I don't need to cut them up as she manages these easily. Larger worms like the Canadian nightcrawler would need to be chopped up.

I don't know about the nutrient gel that the bloodworms are packaged in, it sounds really messy to me. I would be worried about the excess nutrients going into the tank and ruining the water chemistry. Personally, I always wash bloodworms under the tap until the water runs clear. While newt bites are okay if your animals accept them, I would try to include some worms in their diets.

Also, if you are keeping your paddle tails together be on the lookout for aggression, especially during feeding time. They can be a very aggressive species.

They are all in the same tank and yes, I have seen aggression. So, I went out and bought lots of real aquatic plants and it has significantly cut down the aggressive issues they had. I also put the food in each of their own personal spaces so they don't have to invade each others territory. The two males seem to get along with each other much better than they do with the one female. Any idea as to why that is?

Thanks for the info.

Males will beat up on skinny females. I use overturned flowerpots with holes drilled in them for hides. I feed chopped canadian nightcrawlers from Wal Mart sporting goods section. Hope that helps.

That makes sense. She is smaller than the males. Right now she is hiding in a hideaway rock that is in the water. She is eating so I guess I just need to plump her up some. I'll go look for some worms tomorrow. Thank you!

Those bloodworms in gel are messy, I've tried them. Hikari brand frozen bloodworms are much better. The foods you are using are great, if you vary their diet among those items plus earthworms, they'll do great. For an aggessive species, it's probably better to chop the worms, as a newt with a worm hanging out of its mouth is likely to be harrassed if another newt gets a chance to grab it.

The bloodworms in gel that I use are not messy at all )at least for me). I saw the frozen bloodworms but was afraid it would cause too much fighting. If I want to feed each of them in their own territory where they feel safe then I'd have to put in 3 of the cubes and have a bunch left uneaten which would just contaminate the tank faster. I am definitely going out to get the earthworms tomorrow (too sick to go out the past couple of days) or I'll make my husband go out and do it for me. So then, for 3 paddletails is one big earthworm cut into 3's enough? Or should I just watch them for a few days to see how much they eat and go by that?

Thanks!

Thanks for all your help! My little girl took her earthworm greedily! Little Man took his with no problem. Big Daddy wouldn't take his until day 3. It was really wierd...he comes to the glass whenever I'm around and since he wouldn't take it I decided to hold the worm in my hand so he could watch it slide around. He must have been watching because his tail started swaying faster and faster. That was when I decided to try giving it to him again and this time he took it without question!

They are sight based. The ones I used to keep sometimes would't find the food on their own, I would have to wiggle it for them. The tail fanning is a means of chemical communication that can mean all sorts of different things.

I did the same for Big Daddy again tonight and he responded the same way as yesterday. I love these guys and gal!

With the frozen bloodworms, you can thaw 1 or 2 cubes in a small bowl before adding them to the tank; thus, they are essentially the same as the ones in gel, you just put the amount you need in each corner of tank. I suppose the ones in gel are more convenient, as you don't have to wait for them to thaw, but I worry about (1) whatever preservatives are in the gel that keeps them from rotting (pet food manufacturers are NOT required to list these on the label!), and (2) the extra nutrients that are in the gel and get added to the tank. If the tank is cycled, and you test the nitrate occasionally, then the extra nutrients are not likely to cause a serious problem.

I'm glad they are taking earthworms, I find these to be the most trouble-free kind of food for newts, and they are very good nutritionally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back