Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pics of my 4 legged aquatic matza balls (chinensis)

P

paris

i will post a few at a time, here is a group shot
39829.jpg

P

paris

a few more, my male was the big ham, so got a lot more shots of him, made these bigger pics so you guys can see more skin detail.
40189.jpg

40190.jpg

P

paris

here are a few more-check out this glum turtle face...
40240.jpg

40241.jpg

supermodel!
40242.jpg

P

paris

here are 2 shots of the 3rd one in the trio from up top, she is a younger female and not as big as the others, she still has her yellow 'youth' arm spots but is at least 3 years old. when i got her from the pet shop she was thin and not a good eater since she was a female i put her in with the older pair i had, it took her a while to get used to them and i actually had to isolate her for a while so i could force feed her back to decent enough weight, she now is much bigger than she was and will now out compete the other two to get first dibs on food, she no longer runs from them either and so they have pretty much accepted her
here is a pic of her next to the big female, as she is getting older her skin is getting lighter (or is that a function of weight gain?) but she has yet to get her full lumpy bumpy adult skin tone
40440.jpg

40441.jpg

i do have 5 fairly young ~5" chinensis in another tank but are keeping those together as a separate group as they came from the same shipment and are of the same age/size.

E

ester

Thanks for posting more pictures of Nessy
happy.gif

I like the way they look at the camera.

P

paris

here it is 6 months later and they dont seem to be getting along so well. the thinner female had taken to sitting out of water a lot and none seemed to have much of an appetite. i rooted around in the tank and found these
50297.jpg

shes only done a few so far. i removed the thinner female and introduced her to a young male i had.

D

danny

Hey thats great! Hopefully your eggs will be fertile. The eggs my P. hongkongensis have laid all see to me infertile.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1