Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P

paris

well after about 2 months of me pestering my chinensis female about when she was ready....
33044.jpg

bingo! fresh eggs!!
33045.jpg

shes been very plump for about 2 months now and her vents been in the 'volcano' shape all the time too -i dont know why she looked so ready so long before she finally laid. here are some more pics (not great ones though....
sad.gif
)
here is a belly shot
33046.jpg

33047.jpg

...thing is the male looks equally as gravid!
33048.jpg

here are some head shots and a vent shot of the male. i have had him for over 5 years now and i got him from 2 previous owners in the hobby. he had a female he originally came with but she died a few years back, i was lucky to find another of his kind and about the same age and temperment ( there is a 3rd one in the tank who is finally getting over being shy and easily bully-able, she is darker though.)
33049.jpg

33050.jpg

male parts!
blush.gif

33051.jpg

Great - my fuzhongensis have recently begun laying eggs - they do take a long time after courting.
Chris

Congrats Chris and lots of luck.
Those eggs are the result of a lot of hard work and persistence on your part!
Kudos!!

Wow! Great job!

Sure would be nice if you could photo-document the development of the eggs and larvae for us
wink.gif

Good luck with them!

Paris - have you found your female has stopped eating while in the egg laying period? My fuzhongensis female has, as do deloustali (according to Rehak) The male has also reduced feeding willingness.
Chris

as of yesterday i had found only 2 eggs-and one was a dud..so im guessing shes not up to speed yet, when they get going though i know they can decorate very rapidly, she certainly hasnt lost her appetite!

My fuzhongensis hasn't sped up at all - laying two or three every other night. There haven't been any duds yet. Neither animals are eating eggs left in the aquarium (I have more than I can rear properly). The male is still taking a small amount of food...the female hasn't teaten in nearly 3 weeks...
I will have to endeavour to get her to eat something...
What are you planning to feed the hatchlings?, as they are quite large
Chris

no more eggs from her since-but i have now changed the temp in there-ive switched over to A/c (60-70 range)and hopefully that will change her mind.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back