The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 1st October 2004   #1
michelle

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have had my newt since I was 8, 21 years now. I think it is either fuzhong or guangxi. I don't know the sex, but I decided it was a girl when I got it, so I refer to it as "her". It seems that as time goes on, it takes longer and longer to get her to move in response to stimuli. When I see her not moving, I start to panic, thinking she's passed on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my newt's attention more effectively? Food doesn't seem to work consistently, since she's not always hungry. And how long is too long for her to stay still, or to stay out of the water(when should I start to worry)? I don't want to drive her nuts in her golden years just because I'm a worrywart.

Old 1st October 2004   #2
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The best thing would be to observe the newt during the night. Warty newts are notoriously nocturnal. If she's active at night, I wouldn't worry at all.

By the way, I'm VERY impressed with the longevity of your newt. I've heard of newts living that long, but never before for a Paramesotriton. Good job!

Old 3rd October 2004   #3
michelle

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks!

I found shed skin today, and she was feisty when I did her housekeeping tonight. She lunged at me a few times trying to bite my fingers, which is great.

Old 3rd October 2004   #4
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They can get a little strange when they are about to shed. Can't be fun to lose your skin!

Tags
elderly, paramesotriton

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 6th December 2019, 08:00 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.