The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 27th June 2003   #1
drew

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I was wondering if any could help identify these subspecies of tiger salamanders. I belive the second is a gray tiger salamander, and the top an eastern? The last picture I'm unsure of. Thanks for your assistance.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 27th June 2003   #2
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They could be tigrinum, mavortium, diaboli, you name it...

There is simply no way to know for sure which tiger subspecies you have without locality data. When extensive genetic sampling was undertaken (Irschik and Schaeffer, 1997)(Schaeffer and McKnight, 1997) it was found that many populations of subspecies did not carry the "typical color pattern" of their subspecies yet still were genetically identifiable as that subspecies. So basically, you can't tell.

Bummer eh?

Old 27th June 2003   #3
cataldo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well... They are 100% Ambystoma tigrinum or mavortium.. LOL

Old 27th June 2003   #4
drew

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, at times it seems as if all the subspecies look extremely similiar. Thanks though.

Old 27th June 2003   #5
brice

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree with Drew, the pattern on the posterior side of the middle salamander is consistent with the description given at http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/atigrin.htm for the Gray Tiger Salamander. These salamanders are indigenous around here (North Dakota). The top does seem to me that it indeed is an Eastern Tiger Salamander by the outward appreance, but again, there is no way to of its subspecies positively, but it does look like your approximations are very educated! I admire your salamander erudition!
Click the image to open in full size.<<It sure isn't one of these babies though!Click the image to open in full size.
Keep herpin'!

Old 28th June 2003   #6
drew

Gallery Images:
Comments:

As Brice and Nate said, I guess outward apperance can be misleading. I have seen pics of easterns that have yellow bars/bands and some with more of a drab olive or alomost brown pattern. I guess next time I'll need locality information.

Old 30th June 2003   #7
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hey Tom, did you ever get my e-mail about the long-toed?

RUSS

Tags
salamander, subspecies, tiger

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th December 2019, 12:58 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.