Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Ambystoma Appreciation Thread

Cole Grover

Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like to make this thread the ultimate in Ambystoma appreciation, with the goal being to see representatives of as many species, subspecies, and regional variants as possible. Please post your (preferably) field photos of terrestrial adults, neotenes/paedomorphs, larvae, and eggs from across Canada, the US, and Mexico. (For less-accessable [in the US and EU] species such as A. andersoni and A. mexicanum, captive photos wild-type specimens are OK.)

I'll get us started:

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (found when it was COLD one Spring) - Yellowstone County, MT
DSCF0941.jpg

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (multiple larvae found in a spring-fed cattle tank) - Sheridan County, Wyoming
DSC01291-1-1.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (the brightest of MANY flipped under rocks) - Stillwater County, Montana
a3eae3c9-eeb6-4369-8f58-ce6fb5710afc_zpsbe709215.jpg

Ambystoma rosaceum (Photo by my buddy Dell Despain) - Sierra del Nido, Chihuahua, Mexico
Arosaceum_zps66d47b03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sde

Reaction score
What a great thread idea! Ok I'll post some pictures. Great idea Cole Grover great idea! The ones that are solid brown are A. Gracile. The ones that have a yellowish stripe down the center are A. macrodactylum. :D -Seth

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 420
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 165.jpg
    165.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 331
  • 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 359

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like to make this thread the ultimate in Ambystoma appreciation, with the goal being to see representatives of as many species, subspecies, and regional variants as possible. Please post your (preferably) field photos of terrestrial adults, neotenes/paedomorphs, larvae, and eggs from across Canada, the US, and Mexico. (For less-accessable [in the US and EU] species such as A. andersoni and A. mexicanum, captive photos wild-type specimens are OK.)

Have you considered entering our 2014 calendar photo competition: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...to-competition-2014-caudata-org-calendar.html ? You have some nice shots here.

frogman

Reaction score
Ambystoma Mavortium Mavortium
egureded.jpg

Neotenic Ambystoma Gracile
sa2uqupu.jpg

Here's a few but I have plenty more :)

Linus

Reaction score
Cole, I must say, that first pic you posted is the closest pattern match I've ever seen to my melanostictum..

2012-08-25

Cole Grover

Reaction score
Great contributions so far!

Jan,
I hadn't considered it. I don't generally think much of my photography - I'll look into it, though, at your suggestion.

Linus,
They do show a strong similarity. Any clue on the origin of your specimen?

-Cole

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!