Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted Salamander Diet Question

toadsaregreat

Reaction score
Hi!
I hope I’m posting this correctly.
I have a spotted salamander named Clementine. She currently eats crickets but they are a pain to keep and I’m wondering what other things she can eat? I have read they can have mealworms, superworms, or earthworms, but I figured I would check here just to be sure.
Also, if you have a spotted salamander as well, do they seem to have a certain preference for a worm?
Thanks!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site! :)
I don't know much about Superworms, but Earthworms are one of the best foods available for captive salamanders. They contain all the nutrients needed for growth and long term health and don't need dusting with multivitamins like Crickets and Mealworms. There's always room for variety, but Earthworms can be fed exclusively as a staple without any issues if they're easy enough for you to find.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1