Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: How to do a tea bath for axolotl?

ReginaSimone

Reaction score
Okay, so! Our axie got a fungal infection. We put her in quarantine for a week and gave daily salt baths. The fungus is gone on her skin, she is eating fine and is very active. I am quite content (since we lost her buddy due to an infection). She has a white film over her eyes. See photo.I have (I think) figured out that the film is the last remnant of the infection and that it is recommmended that we give her tea baths.
But I can't really find clear instructions. Some say to put het back in quarantine, some say she can stay in her tank and get baths twice a day. I also read a lot of tea bath gone wrong stories, so I am kind of scared to get started.

Can anyone help me? Thx!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-02-25 at 17.54.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-25 at 17.54.28.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,001

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
Hello i know this response is kind of late:( but for a tea bath you want to boil some pure black tea, and leave it to cool over night. After this the process is very similar to a salt bath. you wan to have 2-3 plastic containers set up the quarantine tank, the tea, and another container with your tank water in it. You then want to make sure all of the temperature are the same. Put your axie in the tea bath for no more than 15 minutes, then place them in the container with your tank water, let them relax and calm down from the tea bath then place them back in quarantine. :D

ReginaSimone

Reaction score
Thx for the reply!
We did just that (one bag of black tea per 10L), except for the quarantine. Is that neccessary, since she was in quarantine (and had two salt baths a day) last week for the fungus?

In how many days, should the eyes be better? I am on day 2 now, and it is not yet improving.

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
The quarantine isn't necessary but if you do keep putting your axie in the tank try to do water changes a few times a week to make sure any fungus in the water eventually gets removed. I would say try the tea baths for maybe a week or two seeing as the salt baths didn't help the eyes. You can also try to trade days with what type of bath you give [one day salt the other day tea]. Or you can double up on the amount of bath you give each day. If your axie isn't better by a moth you might want to go to a vet that is familiar with axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!