Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is all over my tank?

jmsstoner

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and noticed what looks like a brownish jelly all over my tank decor. From the looks of it, it has the same consistency as eggs and its all over everything like eggs would be.*

The problem is,that I only have one solitary melanoid female in my tank. She is the only axolotl that has ever lived in the tank, and she has had absolutely no contact with any male axolotls. Is it possible that she laid unfertilized eggs?*

Has anyone else experienced this anomoly? And if it isn't unfertilized egg material what is it and where did it come from? My female appears to be in good health and her behavior and eating habits are both normal. It does look like she's not quite as fat as she was yesterday though.*

Any info of experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. I've attached photos and attempted to get as detailed of a shot as possible, but my camera isn't the greatest. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer from someone on here. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20200224_213012.jpg
    20200224_213012.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 182
  • 20200224_213054.jpg
    20200224_213054.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200224_213219.jpg
    20200224_213219.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 111

MnGuy

Reaction score
It's algae. Excess algae is caused by a few things: too many nutrients (leftover food spoiling, not enough water changes to get rid of nitrates from pet waste), too much light, too little competition (not enough live plants to absorb the nutrients and light).

How long are the lights on? Is the tank located across from a window?

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!