Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To rescue or not to rescue?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I discovered the local momNpop exotic pet emporium has a half dozen Cynops phyrrogaster in stock.This is a shop I refuse to do buisness with for a multitude of reasons, but when a friend mentioned they had newts in I had to see this for myself.

This made my skin crawl, as this particular shop takes notoriously poor care of its reptiles and amphibians, sells sick wild caught fish, and worst of all, is a known dealer in WC herps... (first omen of evil here: they sell puppy mill puppies too :eek:)

I hauled myself down there to check them out, as it is rare to see caudates for sale in shops anywhere in Nebraska. They are juveniles, in fairly good health and eating well. The terrarium/aquarium they are in is shockingly clean for this establishment and the C. phyrros are eating well. It is however entirely too warm in there for them (80F!) and they have no real "dry" area to climb to.

My gut tells me to buy the little buggers up (I have the space for them easily, and they are shockingly inexpensive) however; the employees, manager, and owners are totally clueless (or claim to be...) as to whether these guys are WC or CB. I fear if I buy them all up that these ignorant people will just bring more in. This is an issue here as caudates are not common pets around these parts, and the few I have seen over the years have died slow, warm deaths totally ignored in filthy tanks in shops as at the time I did not have the space to take them in.

Suggestions?

Should I go save them resulting in cash influx to a shop known for poor treatment of its critters while ignoring my own "NO WC" rules or should I leave well enough alone and let nature, the cruelest mistress take her course?

Greewok

Reaction score
If newts are as rare as you say they are in your parts, I would grab them all up.

elchicano

Reaction score
If the rarity of finding newts is high in your area i would get them. But what's stopping the shop from getting more? That would be my only issue, if you buy all 12 they might think the newts are in high demand and the shop may get more.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It is however entirely too warm in there for them (80F!)
That's not too warm if they really are pyrrhogaster.

You've got to toughen up I'm afraid - by purchasing them you just encourage the pet store to get more.

Reaction score
Sadly, there are at least one of these horrible pet shops in every town. One time I bought a native, wild caught tiger salamander that was in dry gravel with a heat lamp! Not only that but it was $60. It got back to health after a couple months though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a tough dilemma for sure. If this is a species you are truly interested in having, then don't feel bad about getting them out of there. If not, then leave them there. I certainly support your policy of not shopping there and not buying WC.

Out of curiosity, are you sure they are pyrrhogaster? And how small are they? For the first year or so, JFB have an orange stripe down the top of the tail; do they still have that?

freves

Reaction score
I was basing my answer on the assumption that you are wanting them anyway. If not or if you are just on the fence about it then do not rush to a decision. How much are they? If they are really cheap then you are most likely going to have kids as well as others buying them up to mix with the neon tetras, goldfish, and crabs - so this may be a factor to consider as well.
Chip

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

I decided to not purchase them.

They were in fact juvenile phyrros with the tail stripe and all and they are an amazing 2.99$ each, but I feel that John is right, I need to grow some skin. Especially since tiger salamander season starts soon here, and I will need the space for my bait shop rescues. Well, that and the wife gave me the "look of death" when I brought the subject up...

gloriousspandex

Reaction score
I dunno about the petstores in your area, but usually if I notice a problem like that around here [too high temperature etc.] and mention it they immediately fix the problem. If you can't take the newts, you can at least try to ensure they aren't suffering there, y'know? Worth a shot, even if you don't like the people there.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How often are healthy juvenile C. pyrrhogaster imported as WC?
I think you probably made the right call; I am in a similar position with an amphib-killing petshopnear me that has dwarf sirens (Pseudobranchus ?axanthus?) in at the moment. I'm pretty sure they are wild caught, so if they die like the rest of the amphibians in that shop, rather than being sold and making money, it may discourage them buying more. Ironically, these subtropical animals are the only species of amphibian kept in their colwater room.

One thing with the cheap price tag on these Cynops is that cheap animals like this probably don't make them any money on their own, but they use them to sell lots of unnecessary equipment to the naive customer who thinks he'll try the cheap newts and then ends up spending loads on tanks, heater, inappropriate foods, UV bulbs etc etc that they are told that they need.

C

cynopsis

Reaction score
If was in your place, I dnt want to buy them.
It fuels them to buy WC and restock this poor creatures.
I know its though to see them die there, but think of it as a solution; consider them as Heroes for there brethren in the wild
:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!