Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White's Tree Frog Noob :-P

totallyrad

Reaction score
So I got a White's tree frog today, I had been looking for one for awhile and finally found one today and snatched him up. He looks very healthy and was a darker pale brownish color in the pet shop but now he is a nice mellow green color so that's good. He is the size of a quarter.

Aaaaanyway, I was wanting to know what vines/limbs work best and if you can use natural vines. I did see some fake vines at the store but they seemed to have really rough texture and I didn't want to irritate his skin. I have loads of natural vines growing from trees outside my house.
Is it kosher to just snip some off and use these vines? If so, how do I properly clean them?

Also, I have some dried 2" diameter bamboo that I got from a thrift store and now I think I have a use for it. That is, if it is safe to put in terrariums anyways :p I'd really like to incorporate them for climbing and such and they look awesome. Anyone used dried bamboo like this?

Other than that, any info/tips/suggestions from experienced keepers would be great.
I will be using live plants, probably pothos since it is readily available and I like the way it looks. Any other suggestions on safe plants? Preferably ones you can get at a nursery or home depot etc since I don't want to ship live plants.

Oh yes, I know most people say they should eat only crickets mostly but is there any other staple other than crickets? I hate crickets, they make noise, they're messy, they stink and escape easily. I have used them before with other pet frogs but just prefer to use something else. Can mealworms be alternative staple? Or do I have to suck it up and use crickets lol. Whatever's best for the frog.

Thanks!

Travisdjtg

Reaction score
Their main diet "should" be crickets but silkworms, slugs, wax worms, cockroaches, meal-worms, locusts, moths , beetles and adult flies can all be offered to them. the problem is choosing what to feed and when, to prevent nutrition problems.

Last edited:

totallyrad

Reaction score
ok i'll just stick with the crickets then if that's what's best and throw in some of those other ones you listed from time to time.

anyway, thanks for the help with that.
does anyone have suggestions on plants still? and also if the bamboo is okay to use

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!