Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are GFP Axolotls MORE prone to health problems/tumors?

Are GFPs more susceptible to high mortality, tumors, and other severe health problems?

• Yes, there is an EXTREMELY HIGH probability (compared to other types of Axolotls.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, there is a VERY HIGH probability (compared to other types of Axolotls.)

• Yes, there is a MODERATE probability (compared to other types of Axolotls.)

• Yes, there is a SLIGHT probability (compared to other types of Axolotls.)

• Total voters

HowToAxolotl

Reaction score
Hello!

I just spoke with a fellow Caudata.com member in the chat about GFP's being more prone to severe health problems, high mortality rates, and tumors... have any of you heard of this? I am new to Axolotls, as I don't even own my first yet, so this was rather startling to hear. I originally planned on getting a Wild Type and a GFP Leucistic, but now I am second guessing that choice. I would HATE to have one of my little guys getting so sick, especially given that I am far from experienced with these animals.

Would I be better of going with a Wild Type and Regular Leucistic instead of a GFP? I just want to know what would be the SAFEST choice. Thanks!

:happy:

Chirple

Reaction score
I doubt it.

If someone can produce statistics I will happily change my mind. :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The gfp axolotls have been outcrossed to produce lots of phenotypes of gfps. I think this might cause them to be less likely to have health problems.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
False info.

I'm not a huge supporter of GFP, I only own 3, but they are all just as healthy as the other dozen or so non-GFP axolotls. The oldest is 5yrs, had since 1" and he's happy as can be.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I will say that if you are stupid, like a lot of people and LEAVE your GFP axie under a black light 24/7..... then yes, it will be more prone to health problems. Even a non-GFP would

But that's dumb nurture, not the nature of the genetics.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I will say that if you are stupid, like a lot of people and LEAVE your GFP axie under a black light 24/7..... then yes, it will be more prone to health problems. Even a non-GFP would

But that's dumb nurture, not the nature of the genetics.

That's probably very true. GFP's possibly get mistreated more than any other types just to make them 'look cooler'.

oceanblue

Reaction score
My understanding is the technology to produce transgenic animals involves inserting a string of genetic material including a promoter derived from cytomegalovirus to drive production of the glowing gene proteins. If the insert ends up in the middle of a crucial gene it can have adverse effects but it appears GFP axolotls are usually healthy so presumably this particular insert is not in a critical place in the genome.

Personally I'm more worried that non-glowing axolotls which were failures in creating GFP axolotls may have functioning promoters inserted in their genome. These animals should not have made it into the out of laboratory environment but there is always a possibility they did.

Finally I don't think a poll is appropriate to give information about this sort of problem, seek views but unless you can identify someone with wide experience of old GFP axolotls you have to accept that this is relatively new technology, may have problems but you need to separate speculation from established fact.

I have failed to find any peer reviewed paper indicating a raised tumour rate in GFP axolotls. UV light is a tumour promoter so if you do get one Blue LED's are less ionising than black light UV.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Finally I don't think a poll is appropriate to give information about this sort of problem,.

The results of polls on caudata.org are mostly wild guesses. Their are still lots of knowledgeable salamander keepers contributing to the forum. Their is also a brain drain on the forum. Lots of inexperienced keepers are quick to offer "expert advice."

pondweed

Reaction score
I'm splashing around in the brain drain over here!

No, I honestly am. I don't have a salamander yet and so any knowledge I've gathered is theoretical. I try to help out by pointing to suggestions other people have made, because it's hard to see people distressed and waiting for a reply when those with more authority on the subject aren't around, and are under no obligation to respond anyway.

I think one of Caudata.org's strengths is its scientific bent and experienced keepers, but also that it doesn't exclude people who just have a couple of pets because they think they're cute and neat animals. There's no reason the two things shouldn't co-exist, and this is the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics part of the forum.

As for GFPs and health problems... I would trust an experienced keeper's views more, but I wouldn't put as much stock in them as an actual experiment (which would take the creatures' lifespans so isn't around yet) of a large sample of GFP animals, and a large group of non-GFP axolotls kept with the same husbandry methods for control purposes. Until then, even an experienced's keepers views are anecdotal.

...But I also personally think such an experiment isn't likely when the scientists are busy using GFP to track regeneration, in the context of hopes for worthier applications of the knowledge than healthy pets. (But this is speculation on MY part and I don't really know anything much about what would get funded for a study or everything GFP 'Lotls are being used for in labs.)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s not the only thing that is atrocious on the axolotl part of the forum (mainly).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!