Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nice to meet you! (Larva Mom)

skybye

Reaction score
First of all, this site has been a rel life saver for me so wanted to give a big shout out first.

I'm a graduate student who was helping a wildlife biologist do a study on caudata egg cycles. We ended up retaining two large batches of eggs to measure hatch dates, and the larvae have been sort of dumped on me to rear. (We have a collection permit for this purpose, no worries!) We THINK that they are Eastern Tiger Salamanders and Mole Salamanders (Ambystoma talpoideum) and our knowledge of raising these was none. I think we're on the right tract now thanks to old entries from this forum.

Currently, I have two ten gallon tanks each with about 3-5 larvae each (different species in different tanks). I have removed the smallest of each and am raising them individually in small Tupperware. All have aquatic plants. We had been feeding them with copepods and daphnia fly larvae from their original ponds, but they have since dried up to nothing. I have some black worms ordered and on their way. No tanks have bubblers, I'm keeping water levels below 2".

Larvae were hatched January 17 and we have such a mix of development. Our largest (mole) is roughly an inch and a half long, where our smallest has only developed thin, see-through front limbs. Is this typical to see staggered development? We had thought maybe resources had caused this which is why they are now in different habitats.

Anyway, what timelines are you seeing for metamorphosis on your larvae? I would love to know. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that I am missing?

Again, great to be here and thanks for being such a great source of information.

skybye

Reaction score
Pictures of the two types attached.

Attachments

• 20190320_095809.jpg
    20190320_095809.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • 20190322_113240.jpg
    20190322_113240.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 172
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1