Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling?

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
I just got my axolotl in the weekend and set up a tank for him but after looking around online I started seeing things about cycling. Up until now I had never even heard of cycling.unfortunately I don't have anywhere to store my axolotl while I cycle my tank and I have no idea how to. Is there any way to cycle my tank safely while he is in there? Most of the guides I saw online said that it can take upwards of two weeks and you can't keep your axolotl in while you do it but I saw one site saying to change about 20% of water daily for the first few weeks.

wremmrg

Reaction score
It is not ideal, but you can do it. Make sure you have a water test kit that checks ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. PH is not as important at this point but check the other three regularly. Ideally you want ammonia and nitrites at zero and nitrates between 20 and 40 ppm. If ammonia or nitrites get above 0.25 ppm do a partial water change.

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will look to buy a tester kit after work today. Would I just find one of these at the same store that I bought my axolotl from or would I need to find a more aquarium focused store to find one?

Kingfisher

Reaction score
You should try and find the API freshwater master testing kit. It usually gets the most accurate results. Most pet stores selling tropical fish will usually sell it.

I would kind of disagree with WREMMRG, all 4 (PH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) are important when cycling. If your PH drops down below 6.2, the nitrites have problem converting to nitrates. This usually happen if you have drift wood in your tank. Do a web search on aquarium cycling, you'll get tons of information.

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
I will go and look today. I had a look on their website and I think I found what I need. While I'm there I will also pick up some sand, fake plants and a proper hide (The current one is just a rock leaning on another rock)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!