Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone have experience with topsoil for axolotls?

kletsgo

Reaction score
Hey guys! I tried to look for a similar post to this but couldn't find one ANYWHERE. However, I apologize if this has been talked about already.

I was thinking about using topsoil in my axolotl tank to help my plants grow. I've heard that you can use this (organic and sterilized, of course) in aquariums, and I was thinking that you could use this in lieu of fertilizers, since they're not great for axies. Obviously, though, my baby is more important than my tiger lilies/banana plants (that are very quickly dying due to nutrient deficiency).

Any advice is appreciated!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to say yes. When I have done a Walstad style tank for my various aquatic amphibians, I have used top soil, which is then covered in a layer of sand or grit. Plants had been planted directly into the soil first before adding the grit. I don't see why you couldn't do similar with just pots used for plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!