A rescue mission!

C

christine

For those that have met my three little 10 cm axolotls in the photos thread, you know that I am a teacher and my axos live in my classroom.

Today was set to be the last day of school before we are off for almost three weeks of break, and I was all prepared to bring my axolotls home for the break.

Woke up in the morning to find trees down on all the roads, flooding, power out, and schools closed! I immediately freaked out, as my poor axolotls are up at the school, and locked in for the next three weeks if I can't find a way to save them!

So I go running up to the school (2 miles in the dark, up a big hill, around/over all the fallen trees) and get there to find, luckily, that a janitor is there because a big old tree fell on a wing of the school and broke several windows. So, I run in through the door he had open, babble about saving my axolotls and then dash down the hallway to my classroom where I fumble around in the dark (still, it is around 7 AM, and the power is out) fishing them out of their aquarium and carry them all the way home in a bucket.

Not exactly the delicate transfer I was expecting!
Poor babes are a bit freaked out from the sloshing, I assume.

Just thought I would share my harrowing adventure tale with those that might relate!

*phew*
That was lucky!
Are they ok?
Was anyone hurt in the school?

I haven't had an experience quite like that with axolotls, but it makes me think about what the axolotls in the biology room in the high school here are going to do over the break! I probably should have had someone ask the teacher who takes care of them.

What a fantastic story!
My personal congrats for going to that much effort for the little guys, it's great to see people who really care about animals.
Well done Christine!

Regards Eastern_axle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back