The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
blufrgman25

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: blufrgman25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red backed salamanders

Hi everyone, my name is Rob, I am brand new to the site. I dont have any salamanders or newts at the moment but Im hoping to start up soon. Does anyone have red backed salamanders and has anyone ever successfully bred them in captivity? I am fascinated by how little seems to be known about them.

blufrgman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Red backed salamanders

Hey Rob, funny you should ask about Red Backs. I have some, and just put them down for brumation. I think getting them to breed is a long shot, but worth a try. I do believe that they have been bred in captivity in the past.
They are active and interesting little hunters. They are especially active at night, after I have misted and fed them. They skillfully climb branches and plants, looking for bean beetles and fruit flies to zap.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote