Well, it was inevitable........

coleonyx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After managing to get lucky and find a nice female A. Opacum earlier in the year when they were extremely hard to come by some more became available a couple of hours away so I'm picking up another two this weekend. Have a terrarium set to hopefully breed these so my female will be going in that, am I tight in thinking these two youngsters are both males?
A-Opacum-pair.jpg

Was hoping for a M/F/F group with the females living in a separate larger enclosure but these are the only two available. I already have a spare terrarium set up for a lone male as I've read males can become nippy and stressed when housed together.

Thanks! I followed a post on here to set the terrarium up for the female(s). I came across a very cheap long terrarium a while ago for a silly price (fully set up with a Komodo double dome and Exo furnishings) so I snapped it up with half a mind on more Salamanders!

Here's the pic the shop sent me, is there a trick to embedding pics on this site as they never seem to work for me?
https://i.ibb.co/km1Wnd7/A-Opacum-pair.jpg
Both look like males to me but I'm no expert, the rear one looks a little duller and plumper with a stubbier tail but that might be perspective and lighting, they're both very young at the moment. My female is definitely a much duller grey colour.

Cute little things though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back