Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raw shellfish as staple or treats?

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
Hello, all! I used to have a puffer fish who loved to eat prawns, mussels, and clams. He has recently passed away (a very sad day in my house), and I have a TON of raw shellfish in my freezer. We can't eat any of it because my husband is allergic.

I'm getting 2 juvenile axies in about a month, once they have all 4 legs, and was wondering if I can feed them the raw shellfish. Can this be used as a part of their staple diet (with earthworms, of course), or just as treats once a week or so?

I also have frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, but I believe those should only be treats because they're not very nutritious.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
since axolotls are fresh-brackish water animals they shouldn't really be fed marine life, i imagine as a treat it would be ok. i know some people feed them bits of prawn or shrimp but its not really a staple food, brine shrimp are only really fed when they are tiny babies but if you have the cubes already its fine to mix that into normal feedings.

its mainly the iodine content in marine foods you want to avoid, too much iodine can cause morphing which shortens their lifespan significantly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!