The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Nikkifro8994

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nikkifro8994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Raw shellfish as staple or treats?

Hello, all! I used to have a puffer fish who loved to eat prawns, mussels, and clams. He has recently passed away (a very sad day in my house), and I have a TON of raw shellfish in my freezer. We can't eat any of it because my husband is allergic.

I'm getting 2 juvenile axies in about a month, once they have all 4 legs, and was wondering if I can feed them the raw shellfish. Can this be used as a part of their staple diet (with earthworms, of course), or just as treats once a week or so?

I also have frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, but I believe those should only be treats because they're not very nutritious.

Nikkifro8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Raw shellfish as staple or treats?

since axolotls are fresh-brackish water animals they shouldn't really be fed marine life, i imagine as a treat it would be ok. i know some people feed them bits of prawn or shrimp but its not really a staple food, brine shrimp are only really fed when they are tiny babies but if you have the cubes already its fine to mix that into normal feedings.

its mainly the iodine content in marine foods you want to avoid, too much iodine can cause morphing which shortens their lifespan significantly.

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote