Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newts

Pullins125

Reaction score
Chinese preferably. I have a 24"x24" tank i set up hqlf water half land. Loaded down with plants. I have yrs of fosh keeping experience but wanna try newts. Heres pic of setup i have. If u see any changes i need or another newt that would be better im open to advice

Attachments

• 20181016_132531.jpg
    20181016_132531.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 216

Bismarck

Reaction score
Quick fan lid tip

Hi,

That set up is fantastic. Your newt/salamanders will be happy. Food for thought

1. Get a solid lid. They will only climb glass to get out of the tank as you sleep.

2. Get a small fan to keep them cool. You will be surprised how cold they really want it. A fan is $10 versus a $300+ aquarium chiller.

Attachments

• 20181016_105825.jpg
    20181016_105825.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 187

Pullins125

Reaction score
Thank u. Glad u like it. Ive wanted to do half and half tank for years.
I will get a fan. Thanks for the advice. And the tank isnt rimless. Will i still need a top??? Theyd have to walk upside down to get out. If i need a lid ill put one on there.
I put some small cold water fish in there. Gonna let the fish grow a little b4 i add newts

thunder7

Reaction score
Newts can crawl on the under side of the aquarium to get out so I would definitely get a lid. They also will not get along well with fish. I would remove them before you put the newts. This is because they will stress the newts, might be stressed themselves by the newts and their toxins, and could directly or indirectly(think parasites and diseases) harm the newts. Also most ideal newt environments in the wild have no fish. More information is available here if you have not already read it.( https://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQhou.shtml ) With that said, you have a very beautiful aquarium! I hope you can find some residents soon. :happy:

Pullins125

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. Im gonna add a lid and fan this weekend. Ill rehome my fish as well. Got plenty of tanks for them to go in. Thanks for all the advice and compliments on the tank. Hopefully i find some newts soon. They are alot harder to find now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!