Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddletail?

Wyrd

Reaction score
Just got some pictures of my newt that I think is a paddletail.

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

She (I think its a she) keeps looking at me like she wants to eat me, its quite scary:eek:

Wyrd

Reaction score
I think its the big tail that gives it away isn't it:D

I am pretty sure she didn't have it when I bought her, do they develop their tails after reaching a certain age?

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting animals and a nice setup (already said so in another thread...).

As for the photos: Your newts are out of focus (focal distance) - it seems your camera is not suitable for close up shots.
I would really like to see some sharp pictures of your newts (like the one from your tank) so it would be nice if you could try and take a step back and shoot some more!

Mercuri

Reaction score
That would definitely be a Paddletail! It has a really beautiful tail as well... I don't know if they develop more with age or not. Mine's "paddle" is not nearly as large!

Wyrd

Reaction score
I will attempt some more photos, unfortunately I am not skilled in the art of photography :(

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's okay, you don't have to be an artist in it!
I would definitely like to see some more pictures so I would be glad if you could try the things I mentioned - just take a little step back! I think that your camera will do the rest - the photography of your tanks looks very good!

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
really nice paddletail you've got. she is definately a female judging from the fact that she has no white spots on her tail. make sure you dont stick your finger in the tank if she is going to eat you!*laughs*
i agree with phoenixtear, that is a nice set-up... nicer than mine if i say so! *laughs again*

blackadder

Reaction score
Ive just got a paddletail. Ive got him by himself in a tank with a rock for him to climb on. The water is quite shallow. I was just wondering if i could put him in a bigger tank that is deeper with some small goldfish. I would put a floating log in the fish tank so that he does not drown. Do you think this set up would be okay.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
Blackadder! what ever you do do not put goldfish in with your paddletails! it will all end in tears trust me! but yes, putting him in deeper water would be a good idea but you dont need a floating log as they can breathe underwater anyway. in case you havent read it take a look at this
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

good luck though with them in any case!

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
i find that the deeper the water is the better. i have had my newts now for about four months, and they are slowly getting accustomed to me hand feeding them. eventually they should become tame enough to be handled but you should give them time i.e. dont try and pick them up immediately. try to get them to hand feed, this itself will take some time but once they are confident doing that then they could be coaxed into your hands. BUT BE GENTLE! do not take them out of the water as this stresses them out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1