Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquaterrarium project

blazinhigh

Reaction score
Well I´ve been looking at all the homemade aquaterrariums, vivariums etc. and finally decided to make one myself. This will be a aquaterrarium build in an old 85 gallon aquarium. I just started today so theres still a long way till I´m done but here´s a couple of pictures of the progress so far.

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10086-imgp0657.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10082-imgp0651.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10078-imgp0650.jpg

I have dedicated all of tomorrow for the project so there should be a couple of fresh pictures tomorrow evening aswell. I would love some feedback once I really get started and it starts to take form.

blazinhigh

Reaction score
Well been at it again, so heres a few pictures of it.

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10144-imgp0662.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10145-imgp0663.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10147-imgp0665.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10146-imgp0664.jpg

I promise to get some updated and better pictures one of these days.
Comments and/or ideas are still very much appreciated :)

seraphimsdawn

Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with snakes, desert reptiles and small rodents. I have never worked with aquatic or sub aquatic critters like salamanders, newts, little crabs and shrimp that people sometimes put in the tanks.

I've seen this many many times when I peruse the forums, what is that foam? is it like that home insulation foam that you can squirt into cracks and it puffs up? is it shape able? or do you just kind of let it foam and cut it and form it with a knife?

very curious

Beth

Mac Myers

Reaction score
It's "Great Stuff".... and insulating expandable crack filling foam (The window version is better for our uses).
It's easy to use but messy (Don't get it on your hands or you'll be wearing it for a few days). After it cures it's non toxic and can but cut and sanded to any shape you desire. You can actually spray it right into/onto the tank itself. I used to do this with my dart frog tanks for backdrops and waterfall building. I would cover it in Silicone and then put, rocks, sand, coco fiber, whatever on the silicone and then let it dry completely. You can dig out plant "holders" for soil too. I would then use "pillow" moss over a layer of coir, dirt, spagnum moss etc.
Some people on Dendroboard reported problems keeping it alive but I never had a problem. I did use what I've been told is a weird set up. I got plastic lighting grates from Home Depot and clipped out a landmass shape. This went on top of 3-4 2 inch PVC pipe cut to a length of about 2" each (as a base). , Fine nylon Screening went over that, then the substrate and moss. I cut more of the grating to seal off the underside of the Landmass and attached some wider mesh screen to this with Silicone. Pushed some clay balls under the landmass, silicone on the "gate" and hide with plants/driftwood... then more of the same on a box hidden by Driftwood for a filter/waterfall pump with the tubing hidden in the foam running up the back.
You could control the size of the water feature and the water depth. Also seemed to keep the humidity correct quite easily. Looked good too.
Boy... I seem pretty impressed with myself don't I. :eek:

seraphimsdawn

Reaction score
wow, that set up sounds really cool and very close to what I want to do for a poison dart frog set up.

I'm new to this whole live plant and formed background hobby but it seems so cool. My husband is always telling me I need a hobby and I think this could be an awesome one. since you seem to love your hobby (you don't sound pleased with yourself, you sound excited that a tough project turned out exactly how you wanted it too) could you give me any other recommendations for a semi aquatic frog/salamander thats brightly colored (even if it's just the belly) for a half water/half land terrarium? I suppose a bog set up would work too as I just want a water feature and it doesn't necessarily need to pond.

Also! can i see some pictures of that set up if you still have it? if you'd rather send them directly to me I can give you my e-mail in PM

Nettuno

Reaction score
Well been at it again, so heres a few pictures of it.

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10144-imgp0662.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10145-imgp0663.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10147-imgp0665.jpg

blazinhigh-albums-aquaterrarium-project-picture10146-imgp0664.jpg

I promise to get some updated and better pictures one of these days.
Comments and/or ideas are still very much appreciated :)
beautiful! but won't it be light?
also I am realizing a similar project, but I am using as base the plexiglass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1