Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms in refrigerator?

king

Reaction score
So my mom won't let me have a compost bin indoors. I was wondering what kind of worms, if any, can survive in the refrigerator, and how they should be kept and for how long? Also, they would have to be to the taste of my A Mavortium. Thanks for any help!

carsona246

Reaction score
nightcrawlers, and troutworms do just fine in the fridge for a few weeks

Molch

Reaction score
the yummiest and most nutritious worms are Canadian Night crawlers or Lumbricus terrestris. They love it cold and should be able to survive for weeks if not months in the fridge. They are sold at bait shops or online. I keep mine in boxes with soil and leaf litter at about 50 F and also keep a small amount in the fridge.

The compost worms, Eisenia spp., are a different sort and like it warmer. But Lumbricus is better to eat for caudates anyways.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get mine at the local Stewart's (convenience store). They have the BEST, juiciest worms, and they keep them at 33 degrees. I can't find my thermometer right now to check my exact fridge temp. but when I do, I 'll make sure it's at 33.
What temps do other people prefer? (Do I smell a poll?)

king

Reaction score
the yummiest and most nutritious worms are Canadian Night crawlers or Lumbricus terrestris. They love it cold and should be able to survive for weeks if not months in the fridge. They are sold at bait shops or online. I keep mine in boxes with soil and leaf litter at about 50 F and also keep a small amount in the fridge...

Thanks! Do you know where I should be able to find these guys in Canada? I can only seem to find red wrigglers and I think European Nightcrawlers. Any help is appreciated.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
the yummiest and most nutritious worms are Canadian Night crawlers or Lumbricus terrestris. They love it cold and should be able to survive for weeks if not months in the fridge. They are sold at bait shops or online. I keep mine in boxes with soil and leaf litter at about 50 F and also keep a small amount in the fridge.

They aren't Canadian, they´re European. They are widespread trough most European continent and were introduced in Canada some years ago. They did so well that nowadays its possible to exit more of them there than here, but anyway they keep being ours. Lumbricus terrestris is in fact, European worm.

Cheers,
Jorge

p.s. Oh BTW, i do have loads of them in my fridge. Some for 2 months now and doing just great.

Molch

Reaction score
as far as I know, European nighcrawlers are the same thing - Lumbricus terrestris

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I buy mine at Wal-Mart, and the gas station when I have a chance. I think I remember Canadian Tire having them in Manitoba when I was there. In fact, I think I remember CT having everything...

king

Reaction score
Haha yeah Canadian Tire is the best. I checked bait stores and hunting/tackle stores around my area (Depanneurs/corner stores as well) and nobody has worms at this time of year. And if they do they're frozen solid in a mud patty. I'll look into ordering some online. So you say the Canadian and European are the same? Perfect. Thanks for all the help!

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
the yummiest and most nutritious worms are Canadian Night crawlers or Lumbricus terrestris.

This is right - given the opportunity that you get fresh worms.
As with any live food you will have to feed them the right things to keep them as nutritious as possible.

Nowadays most Lumbricus are imported into Europe from Canada where they are collected, not bred (I am in close contact with a worm farm over here).

Molch

Reaction score
Daniel - that's interesting...what would you recommend to feed the worms? I keep mine in boxes of earth/potting soil and leaf litter mixes, where they live for months...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1