Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms

martasauce

Reaction score
I am going to begin setting a worm farm up this weekend and I was wondering any other worm farmers could give me some advice.

How long should the farm be running before I add the worms?

Is it worth adding extra vitamins to the farm to increase their nutritional content? If yes, can you recommend a particular type?

Do worms have to be quarantined for longer than 30 days before using them as feed?

I've managed to talk the wife into allowing the worm farm but she does not know that they will be making it into the axie's diet. Any ideas on how to broach the subject?

Cheers!

kidaround

Reaction score
We just set a worm farm up, too! We used 10 gallon black containers. Here's what I've done. Dark is best, as they don't like light. A cool place is ideal. We used peat moss mixed with some shredded paper, and included some minced carrots and egg shells for feed at the top. Let this sit generally a week before adding worms so that the mix can get to a consistant temp. Your going to want the bedding damp, but only enought that when you squeeze it only lets out a few drips. Also, put some vents in the containers! Hope I've given some ideas on the worm farm, but as to convince your wife I don't have any:D

Logan

Reaction score
I have also set one up in the last few months. I used a large rubbermaid bin that seals up well and cut a hole in the top and covered the hole with a fine mesh that fruit flies and etc cant get in. I mixed some organic soil with some peat and since we feed our son and most of our produce is all organic we just throw scraps in the bin. I cover the top of the soil with a hard piece of plastic that I cut from the top of the rubbermaid bin to keep moisture up and give them somewhere to hang out. They all seem to be doing great so far but I haven't found swarms of little ones yet. Also my fiance just knows that everything I do now somehow ties back to my herps so maybe ur wife may already know or have an idea haha.

martasauce

Reaction score
The farm has been set up. Doesn't look like there is any action yet.

Wish me luck.

bmp1976

Reaction score
I have a worm bin that has been going for about 5 months and they are doing great! I had red wigglers at first and went through them like crazy... so I switched to european nightcrawlers and they are so much better then wigglers. The euros are bigger and I think they reproduce way faster. My bin always has babys. Try some chicken laying mash mixed with crushed egg shells...it keeps ph level and makes them bigger.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to begin setting a worm farm up this weekend and I was wondering any other worm farmers could give me some advice.

How long should the farm be running before I add the worms?

No waiting time needed.

Is it worth adding extra vitamins to the farm to increase their nutritional content? If yes, can you recommend a particular type?

Good question! I have no idea. It would require some scientific lab work to answer that, and I don't think anyone has done any.

Do worms have to be quarantined for longer than 30 days before using them as feed?

I don't think so. A month should be enough to clear their system of any manure, etc.

I've managed to talk the wife into allowing the worm farm but she does not know that they will be making it into the axie's diet. Any ideas on how to broach the subject?

Cheers!

What do you expect her objection to be? Is she the one who feeds the axies?

bmp1976

Reaction score

The answer to first question is chicken laying mash for all nutrition and vitamins and/or eggshells/powdered limestone for PH.

Second is no quarantine.

The chicken mash you get at a feed store. It contains everything they need along with organic veggies you may feed them.

My worms reproduce like crazy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!