Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interesting In Breeding

bhill368

Reaction score
Good Morning All!

I am interested in starting to breed some wingless fruitflies and have a couple of questions if you can help me out here. What kind of set up would you recommend? Do you know or any step by step guides to set up a culture? Are the wingless flies from a local shop good enough to start with? Lastly, how quickly do they multiply? I appreciate all the support! Thank you!

Herpin Man

Reaction score
There are lots of recipes for fruit fly media online. I buy the prepared media from New England Herpetoculture.
There are two primary species of fruit flies available- you probably want the hydei, which is larger. I would but a starter culture from New England Herpetoculture, Reptile Deli, or one of the others. You will then be able to see how they are contained and set up.
Fruit flies multiply rapidly, and it is easy to set up new cultures. For me, the only difficult part has been keeping pest fruit flies from sneaking into my cultures and taking over.

salvoz

Reaction score
I've been culturing ffs for years and its fortunately extremely easy to do in tall (32 oz) deli containers. You can make your own media; however, rather than go through the trial and error of that, you might want to check out Josh's Frogs online - they are currently where I get my media and they also sell cultures of the popular ff species at competitive prices....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!