Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what is the proper gh for laoensis?

nameless

Reaction score
I raise laoensis. But there is no information about gh. What about gh fit for Laoensis?

나의 LG-F800K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

schmiggle

Reaction score
Gh stands for general hardness. It's a measure of calcium and magnesium ions in solution.
I don't actually know what you would want for laotriton, but based on its habitat, I wouldn't make the water too hard.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They are pretty hardy animals. I'm not sure what the preferred hardness is. Their is a lot of limestone in our area and my water is fairly hard. The Laotriton do well.

salvoz

Reaction score
I personally would not be concerned with GH at all, unless for some reason you've got extremely hard water. I think it is much more important to prevent swings in hardness and osmotic shock, which ironically can sometimes occur when someone is trying "correct" GH!

I couldn't find any GH info but there are reported stream measurements for laoensis indicating that the pH of their stream habitat ranges from 5-6. As mentioned, pH is not a measure of GH, but these relatively low pH values are certainly consistent with a low GH.

nameless

Reaction score
I personally would not be concerned with GH at all, unless for some reason you've got extremely hard water. I think it is much more important to prevent swings in hardness and osmotic shock, which ironically can sometimes occur when someone is trying "correct" GH!

I couldn't find any GH info but there are reported stream measurements for laoensis indicating that the pH of their stream habitat ranges from 5-6. As mentioned, pH is not a measure of GH, but these relatively low pH values are certainly consistent with a low GH.

yes..Maybe I just focused too much on the detail of the water.

I should focus more on the basic areas, such as ph, no2, and no3.

Thank you for the ripple!

NathanKS

Reaction score
I agree with others that it is not very important compared to other common water quality metrics.

If you want my personal target numbers:
ph: 6.4
gh: 5
kh: 3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!