Crocodile/Himalayan Newt Enclosure Size?

Serendipital

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have. Fallen in love with the Himalayan Newt. I was hoping to put a newt or salamander in my 10 gallon tank, but the caresheet only says 4 to 20 gallon...so would 1-2 in a 10 gallon do fine? I'd like for them to thrive! Thank you.

1-2 in a ten gallon is too small for adults. They need a 20 long, at least.

Alright! I was just confused because of the 4 adults thing. I'll stay away from them for now. Thank you!

Gosh, they're the cutest things...I like your setup too. What tank size is it? I admit I'm tempted to pick up a tank before the dollar per gallon sale ends, even though I'm not sure I can fit it anywhere, ahah.

hi folks,
i just got 2 juvenile T.verrucosus. they are about 2-3inches small.
i setup them fully aquatic with 8 inches of water at 22C degrees.
but they seems to prefer the floating island Land area instead?
i am using Zoomed turtle dock as floating island. is this good enough for T.verrucosus?
TD-20_Turtle_Dock.jpg

or do i need to setup a 50/50 divider setup like below?
div7.jpg

for substrate on the land area can i use bark chips rather then coco coir? bcos coco coir can foul up the water pretty easily.
and also do i need a hiding place like cork bark, logs etc on the Land area?
thanks and have a nice day

It's a 40 gallon breeder.

Hi folks
i have some problems using zoomed turtle docks.
these i have are not new(reused) and the suction cups are a pain they always lost suction after a while.
i saw these (Penn Plax) Reptology turtle pier and they seems to be more solidly built to provide a proper sizeable land area but they do look artificial in the tank.
anyone used them before? are they better than floating docks for newt tanks?
thanks
58037d96-6cc6-41ec-8b41-00c0633d02b4_1.decc70c77e494181f94ccdab64cd47f3.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back