A few tiger questions for first timer

MayQueen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I have been deeply researching the tiger salamander both here and elsewhere and hope to get my first this year. I have some questions and hope others who have kept them can chime in.

Firstly, I have found somewhat conflicting reports on dusting food. Some say do the same as other amphibians while others say it is pointless for all salamanders and omit them altogether while others say only calcium dust crickets since they lack a good ratio of it. This is the only conflicting information I have found thankfully. I was planning to feed most earthworms, isopods, with the occasional cricket and silkworms.

Another question is are they available only certain times of the year and if so what times and where from? I was hoping for a younger individual but a healthy specimen is more important. And a quick question of people's preferred substrate. So far eco earth and coconut husk seem to be what I come across most. Thanks!

Hey there! I keep Blue-Spotted Salamanders and they are kind of similar in keeping with Tigers. First off, I wouldn't know about crickets much. I feed mine dusted fruit flies along with other isopods, snails, and worms that live in their tank. They prefer hunting over hand feeding for me. Tigers are usually not as shy. I think your diet idea that you have should work out fine! For substrates, I have a thin layer of small rocks for drainage below a thicker layer of landy loam soil, topped with a nice O layer of soil and live moss on that. Your substrate should work out just fine though. Make sure to have quite a few hiding places for your Tiger and a large enough tank. As for purchasing, I am not too sure on when is best. It most likely depends on your location. If it is too cold, some places wont deliver during winter months. I didn't purchase mine. I was gifted them from a friend.

I have been keeping tigers for about 4 years now. I did not find a need for dusting. If you feed them a wide variety of foods, they would do very well with getting vital nutrients. I feed mine a diet of earthworms, crickets, super worms and wax worms. I hand feed them with tongs, as well as, feed them food that they can catch like live crickets I have found that Tigers have different personalities and some either preferred to be in water most of the time, while others are mostly land dwelling. Tiger salamander are easy to keep as long as you provide them with water and a moist substrate like damp spagnam moss. They like to dig in dirt, but I find it easier to clean out the moss once a week. That are great to keep and grow fast! Good luck

If you are able to maintain them on mostly earthworms, then I don't think dusting the food is necessary. I have had the experience of a tiger salamander that started refusing earthworms and I had to feed him mostly crickets. In this case, I would strongly recommend dusting, both with calcium and vitamins.

My favorite substrate is a mixture of coco fiber and top soil. The top soil helps reduce how much the fibers stick to their skin.

You've probably already found this, but if not, here is a good article
https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

I've been feeding my tiger salamander earthworms. He doesn't seem interested in anything else.
I've also been using a mixture of organic top soil and Eco Earth for substrate. I do have a bit of sphagnum moss in there, but he generally avoids it.

Hello all! I have been deeply researching the tiger salamander both here and elsewhere and hope to get my first this year. I have some questions and hope others who have kept them can chime in.

Firstly, I have found somewhat conflicting reports on dusting food. Some say do the same as other amphibians while others say it is pointless for all salamanders and omit them altogether while others say only calcium dust crickets since they lack a good ratio of it. This is the only conflicting information I have found thankfully. I was planning to feed most earthworms, isopods, with the occasional cricket and silkworms.

Another question is are they available only certain times of the year and if so what times and where from? I was hoping for a younger individual but a healthy specimen is more important. And a quick question of people's preferred substrate. So far eco earth and coconut husk seem to be what I come across most. Thanks!

Do you want the aquatic stage or the terrestrial stage?

Thank you everyone for your responses and help. I have my tiger now and I'm hooked.

Bhill I would love to keep blue spotted as well feel free to dm me on where you got them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back