Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd color morph?

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Ok so I am new here my name is Connor :) I keep Japanese firebelly newts, and other non Caudata. Ok so I am here because I'm just finished cycling my new axolotl tank and I've been looking around and found whats listed as neon green glowing axolotls on buy-axolotls.com. I looked closely at them and realized they match no morph of axolotl I've heard of and I've been researching in small amounts for 3 years and a lot lately so it's confusing to see these. They are colored kinda like a golden kinda but have black eyes like a leucistic. I was told they are a yellow bodied morph by the owner of the website but I can't find any other animals like them by this name. So what are they?

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Here's a picture from the site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 431

Dragonfire

Reaction score
And one other pic off his site showing one compared to a Normal leucistic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 449

xxianxx

Reaction score
The neon ones on that site are gfp, they look a bit pricey and some of the info about axolotls is dubious to say the least. You would be better sourcing them off a private breeder on this site. The yellow one is unusual though, gold with black eyes is rare, I would pay a lot for that one, as long as its not dyed

Kaini

Reaction score
I'll echo the advice not to buy from that site. The information is harmful and the animals are way overpriced. But yes, that's a GFP (glowing fluorescent protein) axolotl.

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Yeah I am aware they are gfp and I am probably going to buy from another breeder I've found anyway. Just the actual morph confuses me. They look way too yellow to be gfp leucistics that's what I'm confused about because from what I've seen being gfp isn't enough to make that much of a color change.

Kaini

Reaction score
Yeah I am aware they are gfp and I am probably going to buy from another breeder I've found anyway. Just the actual morph confuses me. They look way too yellow to be gfp leucistics that's what I'm confused about because from what I've seen being gfp isn't enough to make that much of a color change.

From what I understand gfp makes them look sorta neon green in normal light as well (though I've never had a gfp, this is just hearsay). So I would guess its a very gfp leucistic? Or dyed/photoshopped, honestly I don't believe much of what I see on that site.

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Idk I'm guessing its real and despite the price and what the website says I may order one as they are unique in my opinion and I can always borrow one of my cousins gold albinos in the future and see if its genetic or dye because my setup is a 20 gallon long so I have enough room to breed if wanted :D

Kaini

Reaction score
I honestly would not support that site at all, but just my two cents, up to you. I'm not sure you'd get a healthy animal either (the site says you can keep axies in chlorinated water....... Because swimming pools do it. Ummmm)

Dragonfire

Reaction score
From what I understand gfp makes them look sorta neon green in normal light as well (though I've never had a gfp, this is just hearsay). So I would guess its a very gfp leucistic? Or dyed/photoshopped, honestly I don't believe much of what I see on that site.

Also I have seen gfp leucistic and they aren't as yellow as on the site they are barely affected colorwise at all in my experience

Dragonfire

Reaction score
I honestly would not support that site at all, but just my two cents, up to you. I'm not sure you'd get a healthy animal either (the site says you can keep axies in chlorinated water....... Because swimming pools do it. Ummmm)

Ok I didn't read that part If I do Im asking for a picture of the animal first. he also said axolotls are social so you should keep 2 in a ten gallon in my opinion ten gallons is only enough for one axie so it might be a bad idea to order from there

Dragonfire

Reaction score
So anyone else have any idea what morph these are because I just watched a video of a gfp leucistic and they look nothing like the ones in the picture

Dragonfire

Reaction score
So anyone else have any idea what morph these are because I just watched a video of a gfp leucistic and they look nothing like the ones in the picture

Ok I just looked at other pictures and some gfp leucistics are more yellow and some look normal so now I need an explanation what causes some to apear yellow?

auntiejude

Reaction score
The GFP causes yellow/green hue on any axie - it's more obvious on leucistics and albinos because they are pale. Lighting makes a huge difference too, and photoshop.
Axies are all individuals and may have a slightly different colouring to any other.

The photo you originally posted IS a GFP leucistic.

Yes, 10gal is not big enough for 2 axies, but they do not care whether they have company or not. One will be fine on it's own, 2 can live together in a 20gal.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Here is one of my leucistic gfp. Their can be a lot of variation.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpeg
    DSC_0010.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 425

Boomsloth

Reaction score
DSC00593.jpg

The big leucistic is GFP and does glow quite bright under a UV light. My other GFP is a wildtype and compared to the nonGFP wildtypes, is tinted a little green. I am questioning if the picture of the "neon yellow" axolotl is just an over expression of GFP or a trick with the lighting. I'll notice my GFP leucistic if its exceptionally bright outside will get a little yellow tint. I do not put UV light on my axolotls all the time, maybe 5 times max, the light seems to make the GFPs really uncomfortable.

Idk if the golden with black eyes is even possible since it would have to have some gene for dark eyes or be melanoid while also having the golden albino, or some type of variation of selective leucistism.
I would be skeptical buying any "rare" type of axolotl from them, and they would most likely charge wayyy too much.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I do not put UV light on my axolotls all the time, maybe 5 times max, the light seems to make the GFPs really uncomfortable.
GFP occurs in almost every cell in a GFP axie, it has been suggested that when exposed to UV light the INSIDES of an axies eyes glow as well as skin - no wonder they get a bit 'uncomfortable'. And axies have no eyelids to portect them - they can't even close their eyes to stop it. I saw a video on youtube of a GFP axie neaarly knocking itself out on the sides of the tank having a real panic attack under UV light - very upsetting to see.

EmbryH

Reaction score
So much about this thread is frustrating me.

I wouldn't support the website, as it's pretty bogus, and it seems that the primary goal is to sell axolotls to make money, not to create more well-educated axolotl keepers.

Auntiejude, the bit about that GFP makes me sick :( GFPs have never really sat right with me. I don't hold it against the animals, and I don't blame someone for having one, but I'd blame someone for keeping a light on them constantly or even a bit.

The "cool" factor seems to make them more likely to fall into untrained and naive hands, which makes me sad.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
GFP occurs in almost every cell in a GFP axie, it has been suggested that when exposed to UV light the INSIDES of an axies eyes glow as well as skin - no wonder they get a bit 'uncomfortable'. And axies have no eyelids to portect them - they can't even close their eyes to stop it. I saw a video on youtube of a GFP axie neaarly knocking itself out on the sides of the tank having a real panic attack under UV light - very upsetting to see.

The reason I got GFP axolotls was more of the research base behind how they got there. the very few times I used a UV light was probably less than a minute each time. I don't really think of mine as a novelty pet that I can show off because it glows, more of a different type of axolotl. I plan on breeding and trying to map out what genotypes each one of mine has and GFP is just another gene to me. The only advice I would give to anyone thinking about getting a GFP axolotl is to be even more cautious about lighting, especially direct/indirect sunlight. Also to provide a very dark hide since they seem a little more sensitive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!