Species Identification?

Mjasko

Reaction score
Country
United States
These two salamanders are both from California, but may be different species. The first is from a zoo somewhere, and looks like a giant coastal salamander, but appears to be neotonic? The second is from the wild, in lake ilsanjo.
Thanks for help!
980f8facfd569764b973decc3c678eb1.jpg
f62b9dacfd53279a2ecf1c488ff3c176.jpg
dfa1216e08d8361e9648edfc9ad233b5.jpg
08d0320dae9df3e0324fcf13f788b681.jpg
e019763546341f9de30b53d4cb98607d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

For sure a Dicamptodon species, I don't know how to tell apart the species that occur in that area though. The second animal could very well be neotenic, but that could be a matter of perspective, as I have no clue on the size of the second animal, or a good look at the eyes. The gills on the first animal seem shrunken, almost ready to morph, not to mention the eyelids being formed from what I can see, but then again, could also be perspective

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back